Prologue

Song: Girls/Girls/Boys by my all time favorite band Panic at the Disco. Trust me, go watch the music video it's amazing.

Thanks for taking the time to read. Please vote or comment so I know if you're enjoying it or not.

~ HarleyVB

Adrian's POV

Adrian's POV

The heavy bus rolled to a stop, jolting me forward and out of the padded seat. A deep frown was spread across the bus driver's face as I gave him a polite "thank you" and sped out of the vehicle.

Other kids my age piled out as well, laughing and making after school plans with each other. I gasped as one of them shoved me on my way out, making a group of them burst into giggles when I landed on my knees and scraped the skin off. With teary eyes, I pulled myself together and ignored their whispers of hateful words towards me, heading to my safety.

I huffed and skidded down the sidewalk, my hot breath coming out in sharp puffs. My face broke out into a big grin when the white house came in my view, a slim woman sweeping dirt and leaves off of the front porch and humming cheerfully.

A dog barked off in the distance, my feet nearly leaving black marks due to how fast I ran from the descending bus.

The woman smiled brightly, her lips a deep cherry that shone in the dimming sunlight. I wasn't old enough to realize it was seen as embarrassing to be so happy to see your mother, but she was the only one who ever seemed to be happy about seeing me.

My backpack was heavy on my slim frame, slinging across my sloping shoulder. I tossed the bag on the front step, laughing loudly when my mom lifted me into her arms. She squeezed me tenderly, prompting giggles out of me.

"Welcome home, sweetie." she ran a hand through my tousled hair, brushing it back in place and kissing my dirty forehead. "How was school? Did you make any new friends?" her voice was full of hope, knowing all too well that none of the kids had any interest in socializing with me.

I shook my head, devoid of any words that wouldn't convey my constant sadness for feeling so lonely. I knew it was better to just keep it to myself and not trouble her with it.

"That's alright, darling." she sat us down on the rickety bench, fixing my disheveled appearance. "They don't realize how amazing you are, but I know that someone will. You just have to wait for them. You'll make friends in no time. Just try to express yourself more." her kind words were always enough to keep me going, even when I felt like the world was pulling me down into darkness.

We had a small house, just the right size for our newly expanding family. My mom was always thumbing through old parenting magazines, looking at other people with little babies and bigger families. I knew she wanted another kid, but dad was very adamant on waiting for him to find another job. He worked as a banker, though the place who hired him was losing customers to a bigger company. We barely had enough money to support the three of us, so a baby wasn't very negotiable at that point.