Chapter 41: Return of the Necklace

Natalie's POV

After Violet had passed the day seemed to fly by. One minute, Carter and Thomas were carrying their mother to the car, and the next I was putting all of my kids to bed.

It's hard to believe that less then 5 hours ago, this place was a battlefield. Now, I'm sitting in Dalton's room rocking him gently.

"You know," I began, "You're lucky you don't know what's going on in the world around you." Dalton gave me a sleepy smile, then closed his eyes. I continued rocking him, until Cole came in.

"Hey," I greeted softly, "I thought everyone was gone already."

"I did leave but I forgot my ax, and I had to come back," He explained. I looked at him like he had 4 heads.

I gasped, "Did you really forget your ax?"

Cole laughed, "Not a chance. I forgot Wesley."

"You were starting to scare me Chancellor," I chuckled slightly. Cole smiled then his face went back to his usual no emotion.

"Anyway, I think you should talk to Carter. He needs you right now," He stated seriously.

"I'll talk to him," I smiled softly with a sigh, "It's been a rough couple weeks."

"I know," Cole frowned,"We have a lot of funerals to arrange."

"Hopefully, that's all for a while," I admitted.

"Yeah," He agreed,"I should get going. I left Talia with Jane, and Jane can be a handful."

"Alright," I sighed, "Night Cole." Cole waved, then walked out of the bedroom.

I looked down at Dalton, and he was fast asleep. I smiled at the sleeping infant, and put him in his crib.

I walked out of the room, closing the door quietly behind me. I checked on the twins, and they were playing with stuffed animals.

"Hey you two," I scolded playfully, "I thought I put you in bed." The girls looked at me with wide eyes, and they ran to their beds. "Mhmm," I smirked,  "That's what I thought." I kissed the two troublemakers on their small heads, and tucked them in. "Sweet dreams girls," I smiled, and shut their lights off. I closed their bedroom door, and sauntered over to Lucy's door.

I poked my head in the room, and saw her staring at necklace. "Whatcha got there?" I wondered, and walked in. She looked at me, then handed me the necklace.

"It's Manny's," She sniffled, "He wanted me to give it to dad

"It's Manny's," She sniffled, "He wanted me to give it to dad." I took the necklace, and examined it. I remember Manny wearing this necklace all of the time. He never took it off.

"Thank you for this Lucy," I smiled gratefully, "Your father needs this...Anyway, it's been a long day so get some sleep." I put the necklace in my pocket, and looked at her as she spoke.