Smackwater Jack

The Hufflepuff team stepped out from their tent to cheers of a perceived victory, as the team members' names were announced. The members of the team waved to the crowd of students, faculty and local fans, then took to the skies with the exception of Jones, their Captain, and their co-captain Jonson who awaited Potter and his co-captain in the middle of the pitch.

The flaps of Team Gryffindor pulled to either side and James Potter emerged first into the morning sun. He walked out, carrying his broom in one hand and waving with the other, a handsome smile on his face. He stood patiently by as the Gryffindor team members were introduced to the crowd. Cheers and applause abounded in the tightly filled the stands. When the last team member was announced, the team walked toward the middle of the pitch, stopping only when the game announcer informed James that the team was one player short.

James stopped in his tracks and he stepped back and counted heads. He sighed visibly and put his hands on his hips and shook his head. Finally, inhaled deeply he whistled as loud as he could. Several seconds later, no one emerged onto the pitch and he moved toward the tent. Suddenly and without warning, Sirius came ripping out from the team-tent on his broom to an eruption of wild cheering. He circled the pitch, eyeing each Hufflepuff team member. He finally flew straight up high into the air only to flip his broom in the other direction, then headed back toward the pitch, in a ninety-degree angle. Sirius slowed his decent and flattened out with the terrain at the last minute. He flew by the team high-fiving each member. He pushed himself off his broom and flipped into the air, landing on his feet then caught his broom and it circled around, riderless and the crowd ooo'd and ahhh'd. As co-captain, he took his place perpendicular to James' right and his eyes scanned the Gryffindor stands and quickly found who he was looking for in the upper risers...her hands were applauding wildly, but her eyes were full of concern. Sirius smiled handsomely and winked his eye at her.

Madam Hooch walked out onto the pitch with her referee assistants and eyed the teams hard. "I want a clean game Jones. It's come to my attention that with Black back on the team, that there might be some unsportsmanlike conduct going on?" She eyed James. "Potter that goes for you as well. Your teams are in great shape and I'd hate to have to ban anyone form playing any more matches this year. Black knows all too well what that feels like don't you, Black?"

"Yes Ma'am I do," he said.

Sirius was almost a head taller than James and easily eyed the Hufflepuff co-captain hard, a smirk slowly growing on his face, trying to unnerve him...the man who looked away first usually lost...still their eyes locked together and after the Captains shook hands and Black and Jonson moved closer until the were mere inches apart, eye to eye and toe to toe.

The commentator informed the crowd that this display was considered psychological warfare, designed to unnerve your opponent but that it was a legal move. The Captains allowed their seconds a few moments and they too met eyes, but it wasn't until the Captains had to pull them apart did they separate and move away from one another.

Jonson turned around to find that Sirius was still facing him, walking slowly backward. Jonson pointed his bat at Sirius as he moved to his position and mounted his broom. Sirius stopped in his tracks and smirked as he held out his hand and waved him over with two fingers. "Bring it on, Jonson," he growled. He swung his leg over his broom and jetted straight up about thirty feet into the air, his eyes on the Hufflepuff's beaters.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the gauntlet has been thrown and it has indeed been accepted by none other than Gryffindor's own Sirius Black," the commentator announced excitedly. "Good luck to both teams...and ladies and gentlemen...the quaffle has been released!"

Liesel's jaw fell as her eyes grew wide, looking nearly straight up, the morning sun blinding her.

Remus nudged her side gently and she looked at him as she rubbed the back of her neck. "Talented, isn't he?"