It's All I Can Do

Sirius and Liesel walked the streets of Manhattan, trying not to look like tourists, but it was difficult at best and they were hounded at every turn. They walked the length of Broadway, past the many theaters, shops, and restaurants. She became giddy when they approached the 200 block and she pointed. Sirius looked up and moved backward as he looked upward and almost got hit by a taxi for his trouble.

She pointed to the Eagle and the Owl that marked the entrance. They moved toward the doorway directly beneath the owl and stood before the door. He pulled the door open and together, they walked in and for only a split second, they were in the nomaj building, but they continued and walked through the proximity barrier and it was then that Sirius looked up and saw the State of the Union clock...for now, all was well. He saw many shops and what looked to be a small restaurant and pub. They continued on and they walked past an elf polishing wands.

"Hey Mister! You and the Misses need your wands polished?"

Sirius chuckled, said no and thanked the elf.

"Oh you're tourists. You're dressed like an Auror...I thought..."

"Well, that's because I am an Auror."

"Oh. I thought you might be a newbie..."

Sirius chuckled again. "Hardly, we're on our honeymoon. My wife's father used to work here before he retired."

"Hey! Your Pop's an English guy like him?"

Liesel nodded. "Yes, he is."

"Hey....A.J. Moody is your pop!"

She nodded and smiled. "Yes, that's right."

"Wow! Little Liesel! All grown up! And married to boot!"

"Do you know me? I'm sorry, but..."

"I used to run one of the elevators...you used to beg me to take you to the top..."

Liesel gasped. "And then drop it...Redd....Oh my sakes...I remember you now! You've been here forever, haven't you!"

"Feels like it," he grumbled. "I'm retired now," he said forlornly. "Gotta keep myself busy some kind of way though, you know?"

She knelt down and took his hand, causing the old elf to blush furiously. "Aww!"

Sirius slid his arm around her waist, holding on as he gazed at his surroundings...the plaster walls, the tiny glass tiles of the flooring, the elegant crown molding...

"Guess you'll be wanting to go to the Auror's office then?"

She nodded. "Do you think they'd let you run the elevator? You know..."

"For old time's sake? I'm sure I can talk my kid into it...he works your favorite...it's the fastest, isn't it..."

Liesel beamed and nodded. The old elf turned off his machine with a wave of his hand and he cocked his head and led them to the third elevator.

"Hey Pop, what's up," the younger elf asked.

"Stand aside Son, this is a very special guest of ours...Gonna take her and the hubby to the top and drop it..."

"C'mon, Pop, I can't let you do it, you know I can't!"

"Fine, you can stay here. Tell...tell them I hit you or you can come along and observe," Redd said. "I'll show you how it's done. Hop on in, Miss Liesel! You too, Mister..."

Liesel took Sirius' hand and led him in. The gate was closed behind them and then the main doors closed. The elevator flew upward and Sirius wasn't prepared to have his feet nearly go out from beneath him and his one hand held on to the hand rail and the other, his wife...of course, she was expecting it and knew exactly how to stand.