×Thirty-Nine×

Song: You Can Let Go- Crystal Shawanda

Sunlight peeks through my bedroom window, and I slowly open my eyes as I sit up. For a couple of seconds, I just sit in my bed, taking everything in. With a deep breath, I roll out of my bed and walk to my window seat. I lean against my wall and watch the outside world, letting out a sigh.

For a split second, I caught a glimpse of Theo standing there, smiling up at me, but with one blink, he was gone.

Today marks exactly one week since Theo has died. I visit him every night to tell him how the day went, what's new with our pack, and how much I love him. He still looks as handsome as ever, but it's hard not being able to actually talk to him.

I let out another sigh before I looked back at my bedroom door. I blinked again, and he was leaning on my bedroom door. That sly grin of his was lingering on his lips, and it grew with the second.

"Hey, princess." He would say with a wink, and I would roll my eyes before I walked over and hugged him.

But then I blinked again, and he was gone.

It hasn't been easy, but every morning I wake up with the mindset of having to be stronger for him. He wouldn't want me to be moping around or staying in my bed crying all day. Theo would want me to be happy and strong.

But for a couple of seconds, I turned my head to look out my window again. I watched the trees moving slowly as a breeze blew through them, and I watched a blue bird flying through the air with ease. As I watched all of this, my bedroom door opened, and Hazel appeared in front of me.

"What's on your mind, Mel?" She asked, just like every other morning for the past week, and I glanced over at her for a couple of seconds before responding.

"I miss how he called me princess." My eyes became blurry, and I looked back out the window, "I used to hate that nickname, but then he started to call me that and I fell in love with it and him."

She nods slowly before pulling me in for a tight hug. I sigh into her shoulder, and when we pull away, she gives me a sad smile.

"It's okay, Mel. You guys had something most people don't get in a lifetime. It's okay to grieve." I nod, and she gives me one last smile before walking out of my room.

I sigh before walking into my closet and changing into my workout clothes. I slipped on Theo's blue Old Navy shirt and a pair of shorts before sliding on my tennis shoes and flashing down to the gym.

Since Theo died, everything has changed. Tobias became the new leader since he is the second brother, and Maggie became his right hand since she is the oldest sister. Hazel works on keeping guard around the house with the guards, and she hunts for new vampires. Meanwhile, I now train the newborns and the rest of the pack.

Every night for the past week at dinner, it was awfully silent. Nobody spoke, and all you could hear was the silverware hitting off of the plates. Nobody knew what to say, and nobody knew how to react now that Theo was gone.

After dinner, everyone just sort of went to their rooms for the night. The boys haven't touched the Xbox. The girls haven't watched Gossip Girl during the mornings.

Everything just seems wrong without him.

When I land in the gym, I notice how the newborns are stretching in the middle of the mats. I walk around the gym as they stretch. The first thing I see is the punching bag, and Theo flashed into my mind.

Every morning he would stand at that punching bag and punch that thing until his knuckles started to bleed or he felt like he had "killed" it. I could remember when he first started training me, all of the punches he throw at that bag was pent up anger for me.