SOF Chapter 31

"Meeting Valerie Grey"

I pass a street in Manhattan, blended in with all the other humans who want to eat something for their lunch break. I walk down the road to the Russian Tea Room, which is just across the building in which Richard lives.

I took a deep breath, not ready for what is coming, as I walk into the Russian Tea Room, one of the finest restaurant in New York, Usually you have to book a table for three weeks in advance. But I guess, when you're a Faulkerson/Grey, you never have to care about how something like this. What you want is what you get. It's that easy.

I get greeted by an almost exclusive atmosphere. Red seats, white dining tables, a warm lightning...

"May I help you?" the man at the reception asks me.

"I'm looking for Valerie Grey."

"Right, this way, Miss." he says nodding.

I follow him and see Valerie. "Thank you." I say and smile before I walk over to Valerie.

"I'm so glad you made it." She says and smiled at me as I get seated.

"Hi, Valerie." I greet her and smile.

Her eyes are filled with sorrow, "Listen, about the family dinner...I'm really sorry."

Seems like the word sorry leaves her mouth easily. More easy than Richard, that's for sure.

"You see, I have a disease. Nothing big, but--"

"Patricia informed me about your condition, Valerie. I hope you are feeling better."

She smiled at me a little confused, "I'm feeling better, thank you for asking."

"And I accept your apology. I wouldn't if you weren't sick."

She nods, "Did you...."

"No, I did not inform Richard. He should hear it from you. Not Samuel, not from Mark, not from Meredith and not from Patricia. It's your job to inform him."

She nodds, "I will."

"When did you get the diagnosed?"

"A couple of months ago. In Paris."

I nodd, "It must've been quite a shock."

"No, it wasn't like that at all."

A waiter walks up to us, "What would you  like to eat?"

"A ceasar salad, please." Valerie says.

"I take the same and a glass of water."

He nodds before he walks again.

"As I already said, it wasn't a shock. I was relieved to finally know what was wrong with me."

"So, I assume you got your medication."

"I did. Stronger medication, this time." she says and I recognized the same bright blue in her eyes which Meredith has. "My behavior at the family dinner was really inappropriate. I overreacted, big time."

"It was water under the bridge, Valerie. Let's say we have a fresh start and forget what happened?"

She nodds and smiles at me, "I'd like that."

The waiter appears again and place the water infront of me.

"Thank you." I say and smile a little.

He returns my smile before he walks away again.

"So how did you  and Richard meet?" she asks  before taking a sip of her juice.

"I had an interview with him. For Yale's student paper, actually. Patricia should have done it, but she got sick on last minute. I did her the favor and made the interview."

"So it was fate."

" I wouldn't go so far, but it definitely happened under abnormal circumstances."

"He had never brought a woman with him to a family dinner, you know. I mean, Samuel on the their hand lets us be part of his lovelife. A lot of girlfriends got introduces into the Faulkerson/Grey/Sloane family. But with Patricia.....She's different. It's like they make each other happy just staring at each her.  It's nice to see him so happy." she shows me a little smile. The same smile Meredith had when I told her that I 'd be coming to dinner.

"I can say that Patricia has just as strong feelings about him as he has for her"

"With Richard on the other hand......He has always been very introvertive when it comes to women. We all knew that they were there, I mean no women can resists his looks to be honest. But... it was quite shocking to see you with him that night. It really took me out of the blue. You must be something special to him.

I smile, "We enjoy each other's company, that's all."

"Sooner than you think you'll no longer just enjoy each other's company. It's going to get serious pretty soon between you guys---then you'll find each other in the same position as Samuel and Patricia.

"Nice theory you have there, Valerie." I say and smile a little. It's impossible to have something serious with him. Impossible to have him for yourself. It's impossible for him to love. I'd like to tell her that, but I can't I won't ruin this whole fantasy she has about her brother. The only one who really understands him.

Enjoy reading

vote....comment.....share😊