SOF: Chapter 64

We're sitting in a black limousine. he is wearing his usual black suite. I am wearing a white long strapless dress. Beneath I'm wearing sexy new underwear- in case it's get boring and we need a little 'distraction.' - I paired the dress with black-classic- Louboutins and diamond earrings. Our personal security team is already there, checking every single inch of the ballroom. Checking is she's here. Irina.

Gosh, how much I already hate that woman! I've hated her before and I hated her even more now! Fucking bitch can't get over herself. Why is she so focused on Richard and me?! Get yourself a new man! A man who love this lifestyle. But not mine! Not mine!

We're on our way to a charity gala. The Snowflake Ball.

Valerie, as the only Grey-Sloane family member, will be there as well.

"Why is my folder empty?" I ask him slowly as we drive down Manhattan's street. "There isn't even the contract in it."

His eyes move away from the window and look at me. "I didn't have time to actually write notes. You kept me busy 24/7."

"Will I get a folder?"

"No."

"Would you make notes about me if I were one of your eight contracts?"

"Yes. But you're not. Topic's closed?"

"Yes. It's irrelevant."

Irrelevant. Irina doesn't think it's 'irrelevant.' "Well then......" I say and look away.

He grab my hand and laces his long fingers with mine. "It's in the past. That's what I meant."

"Irina is clearly in the present." I say to him, my eyes shining in a dark brown back at him. Ha! I can show my emotions via my eyes as well.

"Hey, are you jealous?"

I sigh, "I'm not jealous." I should practice those looks a little more often.

"Then what is your problem?"

I shake my head, "There is no problem."

"Good."

"Good." I echo him and turn my head away again.

"Do you have the paper with the basic information of me as well?"

"Yes."

"Why isn't it in my folder then?"

"What's your fucking deal with that fucking folder, Nicomaine?!" He hisses me.

I still don't look at him. I don't know what my problem is.

He sighs. A loud, big, desperate sigh.

"What?" I ask him in a bitchy tone.

"Why are you being so bitchy lately?"

With an open mouth I look at him, "I'm sorry, but is it my fault that a certain Irina is after me?! Is it my fault that she could walk into the penthouse as easily as you can buy a Hot dog on the streets of Manhattan?!"

He opens his mouth to say something but I won't let him.

"I'm trying my best to keep myself under control. But this....all of this is getting close to me. I can't just build a wall and let everything behind me. like you. I can't shut my feelings off just because the situation would get easier if I do." I say and shrugg. "So excuse me for being a little bitchy lately, but that's my way of dealing with the situation. The situation we have because of you. You want me to cry it all out instead?! Because I am this close to break down in tears 24/7. But I keep myself under control- at least as much as I can."

"No we're in this together, Maine. This isn't just 'my fault'! This is your's as much as it is mine. I didn't plan on falling in love with you but-"

"Oh, so I did?!" I snap at him, "Sure, Richard! I walked into your office that evening with the attempt to fall in love with you. Get off your high horse!" I hiss at him as the door of the limousine opens.

He sigh and shares one last- dark - look, before he gets out.

I take a deep breath before I get out myself. Without a smile on our lips, we pass the screaming journalists and photographers. I will never get used to those fucking flashlights! I hate them. I hate being in public. But I am. Because of him. It's part of his life. And I am part of his life. And I am part of his life. Now I am. Only me.

We walk into the ballroom without sharing one more word. It's decorated beautifully. There are white snowflakes and white light-treas everywhere.

"Let's just enjoy this evening, okay?" he whispers to me.

I nodd, agreeing with him for the first time on this evening. Valerie walks over to us as soon as her glance meet mine.

Richard's escape instinct is awake right away. I stop him by grabbing his arm.

"Where do you think you're going?" I ask. "She's your sister."

"She's such a talker! I still have some business to do."

I sigh, "It's always about work with you. Why can't you just enjoy this evening?"

"I promise you at least one dance." he whispers into my ear before he kisses me.

"You better." I say before he walks away from me.

"Hey!" Valerie greets me, pulling me in a long hug. "Where did he go?"

"He has some business to do."

"As always."

I smile, "Yes."

"Have you seen Amanda yet?"

I stare back at her confused, "Amanda?"

"Yes. she has to be here somewhere with her new boyfriend. Nathaniel Archibald."

"Who?" I ask her confused. I've never heard of him. Why didn't she tell me?!

She rolls her eyes, "Ask Richard if you see him. He'll explain. Nate is a very important man."

I nodd and see Amanda in the crowd. as every women, she's wearing a white dress as well. Her dark blonde locks are falling loosely on her shoulders. She smiles at me as soon as she sees me standing with Valerie. She's linking arms with a beautiful man as they both walk over to us. A man with dark blonde hair. He looks hot- but nearly as much as Richard does. Seems like she get to be Cinderella as well- without the bad stepmother. And without the polyamorist in my case.

"Hi." Valerie and I say in a choir.

"Hey guys. This is Nate. Nate, this is Valerie Grey and Maine Mendoza."

"Miss Grey and Miss Mendoza, I've already heard a lot from you." he says smiling. He's definitely a fine catch. Amanda should feel lucky.

"I hope only good things....." Valerie says grinning. Is she flirting with him?!

I hit her lightly to remind her that this man is clearly already taken.

"Is Mr. Faulkerson here as well?"

"Yes." Valerie says. "Somewhere."

"He headed to the bar...." I explain, looking around. He is already surrounded by several men. Already doing the business.

Nate nodds. "I'll leave you guys alone, then, See you later." he says to Amanda before he place a soft kiss on her cheek.

Is he after Richard?

"OMG!" Valerie says in one breath, "He is......Wow."

"I know, right?!" Amanda says grinning.

"I want to know everything!" Valerie says, "Let's get a glass of champagne and an empty table....." Amanda says grinning.

Enjoy Reading

vote...comment...

.