Part 15

Bobby sat at her desk going over her conversation with Matt. 

In the end, she'd once again been too weak and terrified to say what she felt. 

She imagined the different scenarios, the different words in her head but for some reason she couldn't find one where Matt would turn around and say he loved her too.

It was obvious that he was going to take things to a different level with Lisa and Bobby had chosen not to interfere. 

Still, what in the world possessed her to commit herself to him indefinitely, while this whole FINA thing got worked out. 

"Hey Bobby." She heard Nora say as she approached her.

"Hi." She said, looking up from her desk confused.

"Is Matt in?" Nora asked. Bobby looked at her blankly for a moment before realizing that Brian was there too.

"Yes." Bobby said, blinking several times. "He is and he is expecting you."

Bobby stood and moved towards the door like a robot.

"Are you okay?" Brian asked, noting she looked pale.

"Yes, I'm fine." Bobby said, trying to be normal as she knocked.

"Come in." Matt said, turning to the door and standing when he saw Bobby.

"Mr. and Mrs. Carlton for the briefing." Bobby said formally.

"Bobby- what did I say about calling me Nora?" Nora asked with a sigh. 

"She enjoys making us feel old." Brian said with a twinkle in his eyes. 

"Thank you, Bobby. Would you mind sitting in and taking notes?" Matt said, making Bobby's eyes grow wide.

"Yes, of course. One moment." She said turning to her desk and grabbing her things.

"You can do this, you can do this. You can do this." She muttered as she turned back and closed the door behind her. All she had to do was act normal, after all- everything that the needed to say was said and there was no reason for her not to go about her business as usual. 

"Bobby- Matt just told us you're willing to stay on until after the FINA account is settled." Brian said as she moved to sit down. 

"yes, He pointed out how much effort we'd invested so far and he's right. No need to rock the boat." Bobby said quietly. 

"I think that's a great way to look at it." Nora said, before turning back to Matt.

A while later, Bobby sat engrossed in what she was doing- trying to keep track of everything that was being said.

"Do you really think it's necessary to go to DC?" Nora asked as they moved to get up. 

Bobby sat, going over her notes to make sure she got everything right. 

"I think so. He knows if he comes here, we have the advantage and he's putting off a visit. Still, he said he'd like to have us up." Matt said. "I think in January."

"You can take Lisa- make it a bit more of a social gathering and that way put him at ease." Brian said, strategically. Matt nodded. 

"I think that's a good idea. I'd also like to take Bobby." He said, making everyone turn towards her. 

Bobby looked up from her notepad slowly- had she just heard right?

"Why me?" she blurted out.