Part 45

"Yes, that's right." 

Nick walked into Matt's office after a cursory knock and stopped, noting he was on the phone. He would have walked back out, would have left the room but Matt waved. He closed the door behind him and strolled about the office, pretending to be interested in the books or items but unable to completely ignore the conversation. 

Yes, she's 15. I'll email you the information but you should get in touch with DFPS in Texas." Matt said, making Nick raising a brow. What in the world was he talking about?

"Yes. Just do, cost is no issue." Matt continued. "Yes. Anytime. Okay. Thank you."

Nick watched as Matt hung up his phone and slipped it into his pocket. Then, he ran his hands through his hair, messing up before loosening his tie. It was the end of the day, a long day and now, nearly 8pm, Nick was just as ready as Matt seemed to be to go home. 

"Tough call?" Nick asked and Matt turned to him, staring at him for a second as if he had forgotten that he was there. Matt sighed. 

"There's nothing about it that wasn't." Matt answered, making Nick move towards him. 

"What the hell is DPS?" Nick asked. 

"DFPS." Matt corrected, "It's the Department of Family Protective Services." 

"What... why... what?" Nick asked and Matt took a seat, motioning for him to do the same. 

"It's the state agency in Texas that deals with foster care." He said. 

"looking to adopt?" Nick asked and Matt laughed. 

"Trust me, I have enough issues." Matt said and Nick stared at him for a second. 

"Right, the baby." Nick said and Matt stared at him wide eyed. 

"How did you... triplet thing?" He asked and Nick laughed. 

"No, triplet isn't THAT strong." Nick said. "I overheard that night."

Matt nodded. He'd almost forgotten Nick was there. 

"So, why are you so worried about the department of family..." Nick began, trying to distract him.

"Department of Family Protective Services." Matt said. 

"Right. Them." Nick said. 

"Bobby." Matt said. 

"You're adopting Bobby?" Nick said, trying to break the tension with a joke but Matt frowned. 

"Not funny." Matt said. 

"I'm sorry but can you stop being so cryptic and tell me what's going on?" Nick said. 

"Bobby's little sister is lost somewhere in the system in Texas." Matt said. "We realized that she had been taken into foster care when we were in there for her brother's funeral." 

"Why is she in foster care?" Nick asked.

"There's a lot I can't say but her home life was less than ideal." Matt said and Nick nodded. 

"Bobby doesn't like to talk about her past." Nick said, making Matt raise his brow. "You're not the only person who notices Bobby. She doesn't take calls from family, never talks about them either."

"When Bobby left home, her sister was still quite young, around 8." Matt said. "Now she's going crazy, blaming herself."

"She was 18, pretty much a kid herself, what could she have done?" Nick asked and Matt agreed. 

"I know, but you know how Bobby is." Matt said. "Anyway, she's been in contact with CPS here and the social workers are trying but the system is very broken."