Part 36

Bobby stood outside the conference room door nervously. Almost as soon as Brian and Nora said the words, Bobby felt like she would faint. Instead, she went into some strange, automatic, survival mode and nodded, her body moving of it's own volition.

She followed Brian and Nora quietly, noting how everyone seemed to be avoiding her gaze. What in the world was going on?

Then it hit her- maybe she was going to be reassigned. Maybe Matt had changed his mind, maybe he was going to get back together with Lisa and maybe he didn't feel comfortable working with Bobby anymore. She pressed her hands together, her fears seemingly coming true as Brian opened the conference room door and everyone was sitting and waiting... Even Emma.

A meeting with all he executives and HR? That couldn't be good.

"Have a seat, Bobby." Emma said, not looking up from the papers in front of her. Bobby looked towards Matt as she did so, who was looking directly at Emma.

"Is something wrong?" She finally spoke. She heard the click of the door behind her and then the sound of Nora's heels clicking.

"Bobby, We have something, we want you to look over." Nora said, moving to stand behind Emma, Brian close in tow.

"Okay." She said, looking as Emma took one of the sheets that she was holding and placed a pen on it.

"You've been with us for seven years now and We've told you often enough how very satisfied we've been with the quality of your work." Brian said.

"We feel..." Nora said, "that you've gone as far as you can go as an assistant with us."

Bobby felt a knot in her throat. Was she getting fired?

"We need you to review this and sign that you agree your time is up." Brian said as Emma now pushed the paper forward towards her.

Bobby nodded and looked down a the page, afraid to pick it up and read it. She glanced up towards Matt again, who was looking down at the table.

So this was it? She reached out and picked up the paper, feeling like she was going to throw up. She wouldn't fight it, she wouldn't beg. She would sign and leave quietly, with dignity.  She looked over the paper and froze.

"What... What?" Bobby stuttered as she read it. She looked up and now everyone, except Matt, was smiling.

"Congratulations, Bobby. You earned it." Nora said happily and Bobby looked back down at the paper.

"Administrative Team Director." Bobby read aloud, noting all the details, including the considerable raise. "I don't know what to say. I can't... it's too much."

"Of course you can, We wouldn't be handing this responsibility to you if we didn't think you could handle it." Nora said.

"Thank you." Bobby finally managed to say, laughing at herself for her crazy ideas.

"Well don't thank us yet, you need to sign your offer." Emma said, prompting every one to chuckle.  With a smile, Bobby looked down and signed off.

"Congratulations." Nick said, standing and followed by the rest as they approached her. Then he walked to the door, opening it. Seconds later, Danny, Kevin, and Eddie walked in, Eddie with a cake in arms.

"There's also food set up in the breakroom." Eddie said. "Congratulations."

"Did you know about this?" Bobby asked him as he set he cake down.

"Yeah, it was my job to keep you out of the office until the catering staff were set up." He said and Bobby laughed .

"I thought I was getting fired." She said, making Nora stare at her incredulously.