Part 51

"Sorry, Michael, but I really don't dance." Bobby said after a little less than a minute of awkwardly staring at him as he tried to make her dance with him.

She'd been so surprised when he pulled her out to the dance floor that she didn't react immediately, then she wasn't sure how to pull away without everyone staring at them. So, she maneuvered them off to the side where it would be less obvious when she stopped and pulled away.

"Oh come on..." He said, reaching to pull her back but she shook her head.

"No, really. I don't feel comfortable dancing." She said... except with Matt.

She looked around, thinking he must be here by now. She wanted to see him, needed to talk to him. He'd really bought the house. He'd committed to buying that house. He had been joking when he said it... right? She had so many thoughts racing through her mind. Still she could hear the words coming out of his mouth... he hadn't needed to say them.

I bought the house for you.

He must be so convinced of what he felt for her. Bobby shook her head. Maybe he was never going to give up. Maybe Matt was telling the truth when he said he was going to be waiting for her forever.

"Are you okay?" Michael asked, snapping Bobby out of her thoughts.  Her eyes fluttered and she turned to look at him, remembering suddenly where she was.

"Yeah, It's been a long week." She said, putting a hand on her chest and shaking her head.  "I'm going to go grab a drink."

"Champagne?" He asked, "I can go get it for you." He searched the room for a waiter.

"No, I don't drink." She said, "I'll just go get something myself."

Michael looked in direction of the bar in the back where there was someone mixing drinks.

"I'll come with you." He said, making Bobby frown inwardly. What was the deal with this guy? Couldn't he take a hint? Was she being too subtle? Bobby had never been a master of subtlety, she usually took the direct route and so she wondered why she didn't just tell this guy to bug off.

Still, she said nothing and allowed him to walk with her towards the bar in the back.

"What'll it be?" He asked, signaling for the waiter.

"Just water." She said to the bartender directly who handed her a bottle. "Thanks."

"You really don't like letting anyone help, do you?" He asked with a raised brow.

"Not if there's no need for help." She said, looking around the room.

"It certainly gives me a good excuse to be around you." He said, making her look up at him. No, Bobby wasn't good at subtlety. She would rather be direct.

"Michael..." She began, prepared to tell him she wasn't interested in his advances but then suddenly realizing how many people were within hearing.

"Yes?" He asked, waiting.

"Come with me." She said, moving towards the exit without waiting for him to reply. Michael watched her move through the crowd and then looked down at the ground. There was something shiny, small but pretty... it was a bracelet. He'd seen it fall from the tiny bag she'd been holding all night, he'd seen her open the bag and look at something more than once. B, a pretty and expensive looking B.

"Michael." He heard Bobby call out to him from where she stood by the large doorway. He slipped the bracelet into his pocket and moved quickly towards her.

"Come on." She said, moving out of the room and into one of the darker halls. "Okay... better."

"Why Roberta Darling, if you wanted to get me alone, all you had to do was ask." Michael said with a grin, making Bobby groan.