Part 18

"I can't believe I listened to you." Bobby muttered with a sigh as Eddie helped her to sort out the prizes and gifts on the large table. 

As usual, Bobby had shown up early to set things up for the Lida and Volstack Holiday Party. 

"You look adorable- I don't see what the problem is." Eddie said. 

"This dress and these shoes." She said with a groan. 

"Stop. Just stop. Listen, you look great. The dress is great, it's perfect and it wouldn't be right without the shoes... big deal." Eddie said, taking her hands and making her face him. "You're still you...just a bit cuter."

Bobby sighed. Yesterday she'd bought the dress on a whim- a whim named Eddie who talked her into getting festive. It was a nice dress, not revealing or ostentatious at all. It suited her nicely and revealed the little known fact that Bobby wasn't shaped like Sponge Bob Square pants. 

Still, once she had the dress on, she'd conceded that a little mascara would suit just fine and she was completely amazed at what a difference it made. Maybe this is why she hadn't worn the contacts as planned- she was afraid to loose herself.  

"Besides, you never know who might be looking your way tonight." Eddie said with a grin, making her frown. 

"No." She said firmly. 

"No?" Eddie asked. 

"No. I mean it- I'm done with that. If I listened to you about the dress it's because you were right. I need to evolve and hopefully that will get me one step closer to just forgetting." Bobby said as she turned to the restaurant's party planner to give a few instructions. 

Eddie stared at her for a moment. Bobby giving up before even trying. It wasn't like her but then again Bobby had never wanted something before that she was certain she couldn't have. 

He looked at her and wondered what was going through her mind- could it be that she really saw Matt as someone so far out of her league? Then his mind went to Matt. 

Was it possible that Matt would never look at someone like Bobby? Bobby was a beautiful girl in her own way, maybe not a spectacular beauty like some of the women in his family but she had something... 

"Okay. Looks like everything is set." Bobby said, turning back to him. 

"Great- so... how about we go to the bar and have a drink to celebrate what a good job you did?" Eddie said. 

"You know I don't drink." She replied. 

"Then you'll have a soda and I'll have a gin and tonic." He said with a wink. 

"Alright." She said, shaking her head as they moved. 

It was a short while later that people began to arrive, all of them greeting her and moving to the several tall tables scattered around. 

Bobby and Eddie had settled at one near the main table- she liked to be nearby in case Brian or Nora needed her help during their speech or prizes. 

As they came in, everyone signed up on the raffle list and took a ticket- there was always several big prizes given and everyone went home with the gift bags. 

"Roberta Darling- I love your dress." Nora said, suddenly appearing at their table with a grin. 

Bobby looked up, her face a pale pink as she smiled weakly. 

"Thanks." She said politely. 

"You look great." Brian replied but Bobby honestly felt invisible. Next to Nora Carlton, anyone would feel invisible.