One Summer...

Before I begin, I just want to thank everyone who patiently waited and followed along for the story of Matt and Bobby. 

It was a story  literally years in the making. Please check out my other stories if you haven't already. I would like to have them all completed this month before moving on to a new series later this Spring. Sorry I'm a week behind what I promised... will try to be better.

There is a few more chapters so just keep an eye out for them.

xoxo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I look ridiculous." Bobby said, adjusting her glasses on her face. She stared at her own reflection disparagingly as the attendant finished adjusting the bottom of her dress... her wedding dress!

She couldn't believe it. Four years and one daughter later, she had finally agreed that it was time to marry Matt and make an honest man of him. She practically chuckled at the thought, remembering how Matt had teased her about how she was living in sin and damaging his reputation. She supposed she just hadn't seen the need for it. After all, they shared that giant house and  were already doing everything that people do in a marriage. They were raising a little girl, took care of Ruth, had careers, paid bills, argued about everything and agreed on almost nothing. Still, they managed it. At the end of the day, they went home together and enjoyed every second of it.

"That's nonsense, this dress suits you perfectly." Vada said, admiring her with a glass of champagne in her hand.

"She's right, or rather- I was right. I told you this was the right style." Ruth said. She was sitting back lazily in a chair, going through the pages in a magazine and glancing up at Bobby from beneath her lashes.

19 years old and if possible she was more crazy than before. Matt and Bobby had a hard time raising that one and yes, they considered that they had raised her. When Ruth came to live with them before, she was completely out of control. She somehow managed to get herself expelled from every prep school, private school and boarding school they could get her into. They couldn't entirely blame her though- the girls didn't exactly take to Ruth, not that she made it any easier on them. For one, she was too damned beautiful and she knew it. The girls made it clear that they were not impressed by her good looks, or at least they pretended as much.

Ruth had been graced with the type of good looks and natural elegance that was often featured on magazine covers... like the one she was holding now. Ruth was on the cover- her second time with that particular one and fifth total since she'd finally decided to accept a modelling job the year before. At 5'9", she already stood out in any room with her long and lean figure but it was the high cheek bones and sharp lines of her pretty face that made her beautiful. Combine that with her unusual heterochromia and you had the type of woman that people couldn't help but stare at. One hazel eye and one blue and at the moment, both glancing at Bobby.

To say Ruth had been a handful was an understatement- she had a tough time growing up and so she came with an attitude and aversion to authority. She pretty much tried to do whatever she wanted whenever she wanted and sometimes, Matt and Bobby felt like they bit off more than they could chew. Still, it was worth it when they saw other things she had picked up. For one, although she never liked school, she was sharp as a whip and had a keen sense of business. Ruth was never going to be the model that was cheated out of her fair share and she was very good at handling her money. She was also much nicer than she seemed, at least to people she considered worthy. Sure, her acerbic tongue and straightforward manner could get her into trouble but really, Ruth was  a sweetheart... especially with her niece and all the pretty children of the Carlton family. Even with her reputation for trouble, the Carltons never hesitated before asking her to babysit, something Ruth always made time for.  Ruth had done well integrating with the Carltons... how could you resist them? Charming, beautiful and kind people. And Matt? Ruth loved and adored Matt, even if she would never admit it to him. Bobby and Matt caught on fast that the snobs at all those schools were looking for reasons and ways to hurt Ruth. So, when Bobby filed for custody, Matt offered something that moved them both deeply- to make Ruth a Carlton and give her his last name.