Part 22

Bobby stared at her wrist as she lay in bed lazily. 

It was December 30th- 11pm. Tomorrow was New Year's eve and although as usual Bobby didn't have any plans, she didn't care. Christmas had been more than enough for an entire lifetime. 

The mortifying moment of an almost kiss aside- Matt had surprised her with a gift that now sat on her hand, dangling prettily and shining brilliantly. 

"A Token" he had called it when he surprised her with it Christmas morning. "That to him she was always going to be important."

Bobby tried to say no- how could she accept such an extravagant gift from her boss? He'd laughed, taking the bracelet and tying it around her wrist. 

"Think of it this way: It's a gift for a woman who means a lot to  me." Matt said seriously. 

It was such a pretty, dainty little bracelet, silver with a pretty dangling capital B- a diamond sat on it gingerly.  She knew it could be nowhere near as luxurious as what he must give the girls he dated but she cherished it more. 

It meant that she wasn't like the others, she was special for her own reasons, for real reasons. Maybe he'd never love her the way she wanted him to but this was enough- this tiny symbol of love between friends. 

Bobby lifted her arm and kissed the B gently. She'd promised herself she'd get over him, she'd learn to let him go but in the meantime, was it really so bad to enjoy what was probably the best Christmas of her life?

Then she settled down under the covers, turning of the light. 

"Thank you, Matt." She whispered into the darkness because thanks to Matt, she'd seen real friendship, a real family, and she'd always be able to say she had once felt real love. 

"Damn it, Bobby, don't be so ridiculous." She said, chiding herself for being romantic and practically gagging on her own thoughts as she fell asleep.

----

"Hello?" Bobby said, sitting up sleepily. She turned to the alarm clock by her bed.

"Hey Bobby." Matt said.

"It's nearly 4 in the morning." She muttered but she was already standing. It was surprising to say the least, she hadn't expected for him to call like this anymore.

"I know but listen- I'm not sure where I am." Matt said, laughing. Bobby raised her eyebrows. Matt had never been so drunk he didn't know where he was.

"Look around- what do you see?" She asked, quickly putting him on speaker so she could dress.

"The park." He said and Bobby rolled her eyes. Central park was very big.

"What else?" She asked, slipping her shoes on.

"The museum." He muttered.

"Okay- MET?" She asked.

"No the other one." He said and laughed. "Okay. I know where I am. It's okay- I know I shouldn't have called. I'll get a cab."

"No! Matt- don't get a cab. Sit on the museum steps and I'll be there soon." Bobby said. A drunk rich boy in a cab in New York city was a recipe for disaster.

She hopped in her car and practically flew into Manhattan in record breaking time.

What in the world had Matt gotten himself into? Why had he drunk himself into this type of stupor?

When she drove by the museum she nearly had a heart attack. He wasn't where she'd told him to be but an inner voice quickly calmed her- when was he ever?