Part 64

"I just can't believe you, Ruth. A cigarette?" Bobby asked with a shake of the head.

"It wasn't like I was smoking it." Ruth said, rolling her eyes. This was the second time she had to listen to this speech. Bobby had shown up furious at her school... and with Matt. She'd been seeing more and more of him lately, usually he'd show up with food and hang out until late or he'd take Bobby out on the weekend. Sometimes, Ruth would go with them but for the most part, she insisted they go off on their own. There was no way she was going to play third wheel.

"How am I supposed to trust you and leave you on your own when you pull this type of crap... and at school?" Bobby said with a groan.

"It's not my school anymore." Ruth said. She'd been expelled.

"That's not the point." Matt said firmly from the front seat of the car. Ruth turned to him. They were on their way to his family's house for a family cook out. If Ruth was honest, she'd never been a family cook out for and she was sorting looking forward to it but... she would never let them know.

"I'm sorry- Mom, Dad- will you forgive me please?" Ruth replied sarcastically with a roll of her eyes.

"I just can't believe you did that." Bobby said. "You are grounded forever."

"Bobby calm down. Okay? I'll admit that Ruth went overboard and should have NEVER done that but... the other girl did start the fight." Matt said.

"Thank you." Ruth said.

"That still doesn't make it right. You need to learn to control your temper." Matt said.

"Ugh... you two are getting so boring." Ruth said.

"Too bad." Bobby said, turning to Matt who looked pretty hurt by the comment. So far, all he'd heard was about how Ruth liked him because he was fun... and now he was suddenly boring? Teenagers.

"Listen, I know. I messed up... she just really got me. That girl's been messing with me since I got there." Ruth said. "I don't know why she hates me."

"Whatever the case, it wasn't right. I really hope you'll think things over in the future." Bobby said. "Especially since Matt had to pull a few strings to get you into this new school."

Ruth sighed.

"Don't worry, I won't embarrass you at the fancy school." Ruth said, looking out the window.

In the distance, you could see the Carlton house coming into view. It looked like a castle sitting out there with so much green around it. Ruth couldn't believe this was their world now. She'd almost fainted when Bobby showed her the house they'd be moving into. It was then she realized that Bobby was a part of it now. If Ruth was honest, she felt like a stranger, like she was out of place. After all, she wasn't anything to the Carltons- not like Bobby.

"I like our house better." Ruth said, as they pulled into the driveway.

"Ruth, that's rude." Bobby said but Ruth sighed, knowing it was true. She couldn't help it. She just felt the constant need to rebel. Then she shook her head at herself. Teenagers.

"Sorry. But it's just that the house is really great, Matt." Ruth said, turning to him. He smiled.

"It's okay. I like our house better too." He agreed, giving Ruth a pat on the back.  "Come on."

As they walked past the large foyer and into the family room that led onto the terrace, Bobby reached out for his hand. She was nervous. They were going to tell everyone that they'd decided to move in together and for some reason her heart was racing. She'd thought that only Matt was capable of giving her this type of arrhythmia but maybe it was the entire Carlton family that had that talent.