Chapter 18

Lucas POV

Things had been going really well with Kinleigh. She has been in the hospital for a total of 3 weeks now. Maya and I can't believe she's almost a month old. I couldn't wait for class to get out so I could go spend time with my girls. Being away from them is pure torture. Today I told McKenzie I would pick her up at school and bring her to the hospital to meet Kinleigh since they said we could have visitors now. My Mom's mom has been watching Kenzie since Maya and I haven't been able to. I hadn't seen McKenzie in a few weeks and for that I felt terrible but I haven't wanted to leave Maya or the baby. I walked into McKenzie's school and she was waiting in the lobby. When she caught sight of me she came running towards me excitedly.

"Lukey!" she said as she ran up to me.

I picked her up and threw her in the air causing her to giggle "Hey Short Stack, I have missed you!" I said as I brought her back down and placed a kiss on her cheek.

She wrapped her arms around me and smiled "I have missed you too, Lukey." she said before placing a small kiss on my cheek.

I carried McKenzie out to my car and buckled her into her booster seat. "You ready to go meet your new niece?" I said with a smile.

"YES! Yayyyy I can't wait to see baby Kinleigh." she said excitedly. "Mommy has shown me pictures of her."

"She's cute isn't she?" I said to her as I drove us to the hospital.

"She is very cute. Will I be able to hold her?" Kenzie asked.

"We will have to talk to Maya about that." I replied.

"But Mommy said that she got to hold her." Kenzie said.

"I know Short Stack. I'm sure you can hold her but we need to talk to Maya first okay? Kinleigh is still very little yet." I replied to her.

"Okay. We can talk to Maya then." she replied.

It took McKenzie and I about 30 minutes to get the hospital due to the city traffic. We walked in and Maya was sitting in the chair holding Kinleigh in her arms. She looked up and smiled when she saw Kenzie and I walking towards her.

Maya POV

I couldn't help but smile as I watched Lucas and Kenzie walking towards me hand in hand. Kenzie looked so happy to be here. It had been awhile since I had seen her since being so occupied with the baby. Lucas let go of McKenzie's hand and made her put some hand sanitizer on. After they were done McKenzie walked over to me and stood beside me in the rocking chair. 

"Hi baby." I said to her as she stood beside me as I sat in the rocking chair. I looked down at Kinleigh and smiled "Kinleigh this is your Aunt Kenzie." 

"Hi Maya. I've missed you." she said with a smile. "Hi baby Kinleigh." 

"Awe I've missed you too. " I replied. 

Lucas sat down in the chair beside me and looked at me with a smile. "How's she doing today?" 

"She's doing really good. Do you want to hold her?" I asked him knowing that he hadn't seen her all day. 

"Yeah of course. " he replied. 

"Can I hold her next?" Kenzie asked. 

"After Lukey gets done you can. I want you to put hand sanitizer on again before you hold her."

Lucas looked up at me "Are you sure, Maya?" 

"Yes, I spoke to the nurse about her coming and she said it was fine for McKenzie to hold her. I'm going make sure my breast feeding pillow and a regular pillow are on Kenzie's lap. We can lay Kinleigh on the pillow. This way Kenzie's not handing her all that much." I said with a smile.  

"Okay great! I told her we had to talk to you first." he chuckled. 

I watched as McKenzie walked over to her brother and stood beside the chair he was sitting in. He looked at her and smiled then moved Kinleigh so Kenzie had a better view of her. 

"She's so little Lukey." Kenzie said and I smiled. 

"She is but she's getting bigger." he said to her. 

Kenzie looked over at me and smiled "Maya is it okay for me to touch her hand?" she asked me. 

"Yeah of course. Come here and get some santizer on first." I said as I grabbed the hand santizer off the table that was by the rocking chair. 

I lathered Kenzie's hands in the santizer and then watched as she walked back over to Lucas. I watched as she reached her hand out and gently touched Kinleigh's hand. 

"She's so cute Lukey." Mckenzie said as she looked up at Lucas who was smiling at her. 

"You want to hold her now?" Lucas asked and Mckenzie face turned into a big smile. 

"Yeah!" she said excitedly. 

Lucas stood up out of the chair and had McKenzie sit down. I placed the breast feeding pillow on her lap and then another pillow on top of so that Kinleigh could lay on it. Lucas gently laid the baby on there and I watched as McKenzie brushed along Kinleigh's little cheek. I grabbed my phone and took some pictures of the two of them. Kinleigh's little eyes fluttered opened and she yawned. I smiled and took another picture. 

"Look Kenz, she woke up for you." Lucas said with a smile. 

"She loves me!" Kenzie said excitedly. 

"Of course she does." I replied back. "When she gets older she will look up to you." 

"Hi baby Kinleigh. It's Kenzie. I love you." McKenzie said as she leaned down and placed a small kiss on Kinleigh's forehead. 

Kinleigh moved her little arms a bit and then started fussing. "We better give her back to Maya. She might be hungry." Lucas said as he gently picked up Kinleigh and handed her to me. 

"Yeah she is due for another feeding." I replied as Lucas handed her to me. 

After feeding Kinleigh she went to sleep so we put her back in her little bed. Lucas and I decided that we weren't going to stay as long in the NICU tonight so I talked to the nurse who said she'd get in touch with us if needed. She reassured me that they were good on breast milk. I told her I would pump some more tonight and bring in more tomorrow. After talking to her Lucas and I left which I hated but I knew she would be fine and that I'd see her first thing in the morning. The rest of the night we spent with McKenzie. We took her to dinner then went home and I got her around for bed. She was excited about having a sleep over with and Lucas. I couldn't wait to see my baby girl in the morning.