Chapter 29

Maya POV

Seeing your baby sick and not being able to do anything to help her is the worse feeling ever. Lucas and I did end up taking her to the doctor and we found that she did indeed have Croup along with a head cold. There was really nothing we could do for her either. The doctor said that the sickness would run its course and go away on its own but that if Kinleigh got worse to bring her back in. She said that steam showers, and a vaporizer in her room would help with her breathing. I woke up in the middle of the night and got alarmed when I noticed Lucas wasn't in bed with me. The nights have been so rough lately that I must have passed out hard and was in such a deep sleep that I didn't hear anything. As I walked down the hallway I could hear singing and as I go closer to the nursery I realized it was coming from there.  

I've got sunshine on a cloudy day
When it's cold outside, I've got the month of May
I guess you'd say
What can make me feel this way?
My girl, my girl, my girl
Talkin' 'bout my girl
My girl

The door was cracked open a little bit so I peeked in and I started crying at the sight in front of me. Lucas was holding our baby in the rocker and the smell of the vaporizer filled the room as he sang Temptations "My Girl" to her as he rocked her in his arms. She was looking up at him admiring him as he sang to her. It melted my heart how much she loved her Daddy. I slowly opened the door and Lucas looked up at me and smiled. 

"How's she doing, Daddy?" I said as I walked over to them. 

"I think's getting better actually." he answered. 

I bent down so I could see her and she looked up at me. "Hi Pumpkin are you feeling better?" I cooed. 

Kinleigh started moving her legs and arms excitedly and grinned back at me as she let out a small coo to me. 

"See? I think she's finally starting to get back to acting like herself." Lucas replied. "I came in here to check on her because I heard her coughing and wanted to make sure she was okay. She was wide awake when I got in here so I decided to hold her and rock her a little bit." 

"It sure seems like she's doing better Thanks for being such an amazing Daddy. I love you." I said as I leaned in and gave Lucas a small kiss on his lips. 

"I love you too." he said as he smiled up at me. "Do you want to take her and see if she'll go down?" 

"Yeah, I can do that." I said as I took Kinleigh out of his arms. "Come over and sit with me in her Bay Window." 

Lucas gave me a questioning look but followed me over to her Bay Window after shutting the lights off. He sat down putting his feet up and I sat in between his legs leaning into him as I helped Kinleigh latch onto me. I looked up into the moonlight. The sky looked so beautiful and clear. The stars were shining bright and the moon looked beautiful. 

"I miss sitting Riley's Bay Window with her." I said breaking the silence. "Her and I have so many memories there." 

"It means a lot to you doesn't it?" he asked me. 

"It does. I miss Riley so much. I'm looking forward to her being home from college so I can see her more." I answered. 

"I think it's great that you two have such a sacred little place that you'll always remember as your safe haven." Lucas replied. "I'm so glad you asked me to make one for Kinleigh." 

"One of my favorite memories in the Bay Window was when I told her about how strong my feelings were for you. It was during the time frame when you back to Texas after visiting here on Christmas." 

"Hmm. Really?" Lucas said and I could tell that it made him happy. 

"Oh yeah we talked about a lot of things about you in that Bay Window." I said as i tilted my head back and looked up at him with a smile. 

"Good things I hope." he said and I chuckled. 

"Of course Huckleberry. I told her how much I loved you, how I had this fear of losing you, how you complete me and that you're my everything. She told me she'd never seen me that happy. " I replied. 

"I love you Maya and it makes my day knowing I was the topic of discussion in you and Riley's scared place." he replied. 

"I love you too." I answered. 

Kinleigh fed me for awhile longer but she did eventually end up going back to sleep. I placed her back in her crib and made sure to cover her up. After that Lucas and I went back to bed and eventually did the same. A few hours later Kinleigh woke up again so I brought her in bed with me and Lucas. She was of course wide awake even after a feeding. 

"You're a stink pot.  Mommy wants to sleep and you want to play." I cooed as I changed her diaper. 

Kinleigh moved her arms and made a gurgling sound as she played with her feet while I changed her diaper. It was so cute watching her and while I did want to sleep I was so glad she was feeling better. I decided to let Lucas sleep and took Kinliegh out to the kitchen to get her some of her baby oatmeal cereal. She loved the Strawberry Banana flavor. Once she she ate I took her in the bathroom and gave her a bath so that it was out of the way. After that was all out of the way we did some tummy time then I put her back down for a nap. Lucas was still sawing logs in bed. I got into bed with him. I was laying on my side with my back to him when I felt him wrap his arm around me. It felt good being in his arms. I eventually drifted off to sleep and was able to get a good nap in thanks to Lucas who had got up with Kinleigh after her nap. He's such a hands on Daddy and I love it.  I love my little family.