Chapter Eleven

Pete helped Mikey into the pyjama pants before grabbing his hand and guiding him down stairs. Mikey followed him, he made it into the kitchen when there was a knock at the door. Pete sat Mikey on the counter, putting some water on to boil and spooning some mix into a sippy cup he found at the back of a cupboard before going to open the door. Dani stood, clinging to Patrick's arm on the other side of the door.

"Oh... Patrick... hi..." Pete said, moving aside to let them in.

He walked into the kitchen after shutting and locking the door, sighing at Mikey sitting there with his sippy cup.

Mikey picked up the sippy cup and started to drink it, but burnt his tongue, "Owie."
"Oh honey, it isn't ready yet." He said, running a cup of cold water and handing it to him.

Mikey drank the water, "I hurt my tongue."

Patrick walked in with Dani, they sat on the couch. Pete stirred the water into the mix, getting the whippy cream out of the fridge and adding it on, handing Mikey the chocolate after closing the lid on the cup.

"Thank you Daddy." Mikey jumped down from the counter.

Pete grabbed Mikey's other hand, going into the living room and sitting opposite Dani and Patrick. Mikey drank from the sippy cup, pointing at Dani.

"What's up honey?" Pete said, "It's rude to point."
Mikey removed the sippy cup from his mouth and swallowed, "Best friend!!"

Pete smiled, "So you're Dani?"
She nodded, "Yup."

"I don't know how I've never met you before." Pete laughed "You're my little's best friend, and from the look of it, my best friend's little."
Patrick grinned, "Yeah. I'm surprised. I thought you'd met before."

"Dani is Princess Police!" Mikey cheered.
Pete chuckled, "An officer?"

"Detective." She smiled.
"I'm guessing you're the one that tracked me down then." Pete smiled, trying to show that he'd forgiven her, "Don't worry, I don't hold grudges."

She nodded, "Sorry...I needed to protect little Mikey."
Patrick shook his head, "I was very disappointed in her when she did."

Pete caught Patrick's tone, making eye contact. Patrick nodded slightly.

Pete balled his fist. "Trick, can I talk to you please."

Patrick nodded releasing Dani's hand. Pete could see a bruise poking out under Dani's sleeve and felt sick, going into the kitchen.

Patrick followed him, "What's up Pete?"
"Dani has bruises that are very fucking similar to the ones Mikey had and I recognised your tone when you said disappointed."

Patrick shook his head, "It's not like that."
"Patrick."

"What?" He looked at Pete.
"I know you. I know the warning signs. You can tell me, I won't report you, Best friends to the end."

He shook his head again and repeated, "It's not like that."

Dani whined loudly and ran into the kitchen, "Daddy!! Mikey grabbed my ouchies." She pulled up her sleeves revealing more bruises.

Pete clenched and unclenched his fists. "Mikey go upstairs and lock yourself in the bathroom. Don't come out, even if I tell you to, until I've calmed down." He called.

Mikey ran up to the bathroom, locking himself in.

Patrick pursed his lips, "I'll kiss them in a second Princess."

"How did you get the ouchies Dani?" Pete asked, his tone gentle.

Patrick shot her a glare from the corner of his eyes.