Chapter 6 - Vader

The next day, the sandstorm still howled—it was the sandstorm of the millennium. Usually these sand walls only lasted a few minutes—not hours, and definitely not days. The sand piled up inside Plutt's dwelling, dust permeating every part of the residence.

Rey's leg wound hurt more, but she tried to brave her way through it, using the Force to manage the pain. When Ani showed up the next morning, her bandage was soaked through with blood and pus, and the wound was hot to the touch.

Ani gasped and sighed when he checked it. "Rey, this is bad. It's infected."

"What does '-fected' mean?"

"Some dirt got in. It's not good." He stood up and yelled, "When I get my hands on that Blobfish . . ." and then he threw a shipping crate across the room, splitting it in multiple pieces as it hit the wall.

"Granddad! Please! Stop!" Rey's eyes widened, and she shrunk back in fear. "I'm sorry. Don't be mad. Do whatever you have to do. I won't cry. I promise. Even if you have to cut it off."

Ani stopped, stung by her words. How could I have lost my temper? I am part of the light now, right?

As Ani battled through his own personal conflict, Rey said, "I promise, Granddad. I'll be a good girl."

Ani knelt down to her level. "I'm not mad at you, Darling. I'm angry at the Blobfish and the Rodian who brought you here. I'm angry at everything I cannot change. You don't deserve this, Rey. This was supposed to be my punishment, not yours."

"Granddad, don't be angry about what you can't change. Just change what you can."

Ani gasped and then smiled. "Now you sound like my Padmé, Young One."

"Padmé?"

"My wife—the most amazing woman who ever lived. You remind me of her in so many little ways, and sometimes the things you say sound just like her." Ani looked up toward the ceiling, thinking. "So, things I can change, hunh? Let's focus on that, and if the Blobfish gets in the way . . ."

Ani disappeared and moved to the upper floors of the dwelling

Ani disappeared and moved to the upper floors of the dwelling. He ransacked every cabinet, every drawer, every space that might hold antibiotics or Bacta gel.

The residents were in the main hall eating their evening meal as Ani's search progressed. They heard the racket and wisely stayed together in a group.

When Ani could not find what he needed, he apparated in the main hall. Floating above Unkar's seat he wrote in the plaster wall, excizing plaster with the Force. "Bacta?"

One of the Weequay who was facing Unkar pointed, backing up in fear as the letters appeared on the wall. "Master."

"What?" Unkar asked as he ate another bite of luggabeast haunch.

"Look!"

Unkar jumped back as he saw the unseen hand write. "Antibiotics? Pain meds?"

"Who are you?" Unkar stood. "I refuse to keep up this charade. I demand to know who you are!"