Chapter 59 - Lesson Learned

It had been two weeks already, and Rey just wanted to leave. She was tired of the cold. She was tired of training. She was tired of everything. But one thing kept her going—the threat of Plagueis. If she left, her brother would be lost and she would be in danger. If she stayed, both would have a chance.

Today was not going well, either. Well, to be honest, no day had gone entirely well yet. She was frustrated. Master Luke was calm but worried. Granddad was silent, honoring his agreement to stay out of the training.

Today, as the rain poured down, Master Luke made her climb to the pinnacle of the island—a slippery boulder. It would have been easy to do, except for the rain. The rain made every handhold and foothold slimy. Gripping with all of her might, her hand slipped again. She fell back to the plateau, caking herself in water and mud. Master Luke just stood there, his arms crossed. Rey looked at him and turned back to the pinnacle.

As she climbed, she wiped her hands on her uniform, streaking it with mud. She was able to get up a few meters higher this time, almost halfway up, when she began to slip again. She dug in with her feet and reached out with the Force to sustain her. She was able to stop her slip and hold herself in stasis using the Force. He's smiling, thought Rey. He hasn't smiled all week. He's smiling. I must have done something right.

Rey reached above her and grabbed with a ferocity at the boulder. She used the Force to find a hidden handhold and pulled herself up. I'm going to make it! I'm further than I've ever been before! I'm going to make it! thought Rey as she climbed closer to the peak. As she pulled herself up on the top of the boulder, the boulder rotated downward, sending her crashing back to the turf.

Master Luke crouched near her, examining her for injury. Other than a few bruises, she had survived. "Get up," he ordered.

"Again?" asked Rey, twisting and stretching her sore back and arms.

"No. Run down the steps and back up. Now," ordered Master Luke.

"But I might slip and fall. Those steps are treacherous in the rain," objected Rey.

"Then I suggest you don't," mentioned Luke, indicating with his eyes that she was to begin.

Rey hauled herself up off the ground with a belligerent attitude and started pounding down the steps. The footing was treacherous. As she loped down the steps her granddad reminded, "Everything's a test, Rey."

"I know. I'm not very good at passing them, either, it seems," remarked Rey as she moved through the rain, her hair plastered to her scalp, her buns drooping.

"You need to approach these tests in a different manner. I mean all of them," hinted Ani.

Rey said tersely, "Just tell me what you mean. I'm too tired to play these games. It's bad enough with Master Luke." But he was gone.

Rey reached the bottom of the Great Causeway within a few minutes, her knees and back hurting from the jostling on the steps. And she knew that her calves would be burning next as she climbed—no, ran—the steps.

When she reached the top, Master Luke just indicated with a hand signal to run them again. Rey turned around and started the process over. This time some of the steps were not just slick with mud but had become mud puddles, splashing mud up and down her on every step. Rey struggled down and back up again, her calves burning, her energy spent.

At the top, Master Luke stood, the rain streaming down his beard and hood. He indicated with his blue eyes to do it again.

He's impatient with me. What am I supposed to be doing? Haven't I done this enough? I'm so tired. I don't think I'll make it back up. Am I being punished? thought Rey as she headed back down.

At the bottom, she collapsed in the mud beneath the stairs, her legs cramping, unable to move another step. She sat there, draped over the two bottom steps, out of all energy and will. And yet she could still feel Master Luke waiting up above. Waiting for her. I can't do this on my own, whine Rey to her granddad.

Then don't, responded Ani.

That was a big help, berated Rey. Yet, she felt the Force flowing around her, through her, just passing in and out. She grabbed it and harnessed its power. With her first step, she revived. She made the pass quicker than before and continued to the boulder. She stopped when she reached the pinnacle, standing with her arms outstretched, feeling the Force flow through her and empower her. This was what Master Luke was trying to teach!

She stood at the top, looking out past the clearing clouds to the little islands scattered around this one. As Rey reveled in the Force, Master Luke joined her on the pinnacle. She jumped in shock when she realized he was there.

"Did you learn the lesson yet?" asked Luke.

Rey nodded. "I never had to do this in my own strength."

"Never," agreed Luke with a warm smile of pride in his Padawan. Then he jumped to the plateau and ignited his saber as the wind whipped bitterly at his wet robe. Rey jumped to the plateau, using the Force to cushion her drop, and ignited her saber as well.