Chapter 62 - Force Lightning

Rey stood at the ready—half-crouched, lightsaber in hand, nervous. Master Luke stood behind her, tensed. He knew what was coming next. She could only imagine. Neither were thrilled.

Ani spoke to them both, "This could kill you. At the very least, you will absorb some of it, and it will hurt you. Are you sure you want to go through with this."

"Yes!" they both agreed at the same time. Rey was sure she would lose her nerve if he did not do it now. She was not sure what her uncle felt.

"Why don't you activate your blades first? That way the lightning will be drawn to it," suggested Ani.

"It won't happen that way in battle, Father," argued Luke.

"Yes, but this isn't battle. Let's work up to my electrocuting my offspring, okay?"

Luke ignited his lightsaber and brought it up diagonally across his body. Rey followed suit. Ani lifted his hands, and nothing happened.

"What's wrong?" asked Rey.

"I wasn't sure I could do this," explained Ani. "I've never used Force lightning with the light side before. This is . . . odd."

"So it's not because you're a ghost?" asked Luke.

"I don't think so," mentioned Ani, concentrating again. He closed his eyes and allowed the Force to swirl around him. Rey and Luke could see the blue tendrils encompassing him and passing quickly through his body. He lifted his hands and looked like he was going to paint with his fingers as the lightning emerged.

Luke and Rey jumped back in unison, raising their blades. A few bolts made it through, piercing through their uniforms and charging their skin. Rey quickly adjusted her blade, as did Luke. It was so frightening and beautiful at the same time that Rey had a hard time concentrating on holding her blade steady.

"Watch it, Rey," cautioned Luke as her blade dipped and a bolt caught her wrist. Rey raised her blade again just as Ani stopped the bolts.

"Well, that was fun," remarked Ani. "Was it the same, Luke?"

"It felt the same, just not as much at once," mentioned Luke. "Rey, can I use your lightsaber this time while you observe?"

Rey handed the saber over to him. It responded to him instantly, clicking to his metallic hand while he held the green in his left. "Father, attack me only this time, with both hands. I want to try something." Luke held the sabers parallel to each across his body as a shield, absorbing all of the bolts. It was hard to hold them in the right position, though.

"Give me a minute, Father," directed Luke. Ani lowered his attack as Luke adjusted the sabers to a reverse hilt grip.

"No, not like that! I will not allow my son to pick up bad grip habits like Ahoska did," insisted Ani. "Grab them properly, or I won't continue."

"Father . . ." started Luke.

"Luke," reprimanded Ani. "I will not participate any longer if you don't grab the hilts properly. Wielding two blades is no excuse."

"We have never drilled with using two blades against Force lightning. This could be the proper way," debated Luke.

"But they'll be in the wrong position if someone attacks you with a saber," argued Ani.

"Father, if someone is attacking me with Force lightning, I doubt anyone else is going to jump in and attack me with a saber. They could get electrocuted, too," debated Luke. "Please, let me just see if it works better."

Ani stared him down, blue eyes to blue eyes. "I never could say no to Ahoska either. Padawan! Spare me!"

Luke lifted the blades into position, the blue blade above the green, arms crossed, and hilts reversed. As the bolts struck, the blades absorbed. But then, with a flick of his wrist, Luke was able to send the lightning back toward his father. It proceeded through his body to the rock behind him. "Yeah, it is working. Rey, I want you to try now. Once it starts absorbing, flick your wrist toward him. It will deflect it back."

Rey took the blades from Master Luke and obeyed his instructions. She quickly caught on to the wrist flick and smiled as the lightning headed toward Ani's rock. "It is easier this way."

Ani looked at them both as he lowered his hands and rolled his eyes. "Of course, you would think that! Why do I always get Padawan who like that reverse hilt grip? Why me?"

"Just lucky I guess?" asked Rey impudently.

"There's no such thing as luck," replied Ani, less than thrilled. "As if Ahoska was not enough torture for me, now my offspring are doing it! Why?"

"Father, who's Ahoska?" asked Luke.

"A mischievous little Togruta that I had the displeasure of training when she was a Padawan . . . and a good friend," explained Ani. "But that is a story for another day. Back to this unorthodox defense against lightning." Ani raised his hands and threw the lightning at them.