Chapter 9 - The Ravager

A few weeks later, Rey found herself in an overpacked landspeeder towing a repulsor lift across the Goazan Badlands, headed for the salvage site. Ani hovered next to her as the vehicle racedover the dunes, pointing out the different craft as they passed them.

"That's an X-wing fighter." Ani pointed to a glass canopy and S-foils breaking through the dunes. 

The scavengers with Rey were silent and edgy. They knew that she was communicating with the Ghost of Vader, and they were afraid of any calamities that might occur if he were displeased.

Ani continued with his analysis. "It will be a good ship to scavenge for some of things you will need right away. Doesn't look like anyone has gotten to it yet."

"What's that?" Rey pointed to something that was lying on its side with four legs.

"A walker—personnel transport."

"It's huge."

"Wait until you see the Ravager." Ani smiled with pride. He looked more closely at the walker and said, "That might just do."

"What?"

"No one has touched that walker yet, either. Probably too busy with the star destroyer. I think we might be able to make use of it for you, Rey." Ani thought through the requirements Rey would need.

The girl looked out across the wasteland, unsure of what her granddad meant. More TIE fighters appeared, their solar panels in pieces, half-buried in the sand. Other ships were barely noticeable above the sand, impossible to determine what they were. But nothing could prepare her for the Super Star Destroyer Ravager when the speeder pulled around a cliff.

Ani spoke as Rey sucked in her breath, "The Super Star Destroyer Ravager, 19 kilometers in length, 13 thrust engines, over 5,000 turbo lasers and ion cannons. Minimum crew 280,000."

"How do you know all this, Gr- Ani?"

"Her sister ship, The Executor, was my flagship." Longing tinged his voice.

The speeder pulled up to the central portside docking ring, which stood open to the elements and sand. A pile of sand had accumulated inside the entry hatch.

After disembarking the landspeeder, the salvage crew put on gloves and gave Rey a pair of large leather ones

After disembarking the landspeeder, the salvage crew put on gloves and gave Rey a pair of large leather ones. They kept slipping off, so one of the guys wrapped binding tape around the cuffs directly to Rey's wrists. The crew piled equipment into backpacks and led Rey up the raked passageways.

Because of the steep pitch of the ship in the sand, ropes had been strung down the decking for handholds. The crew struggled hand-over-hand up the ropes for kilometers, resting at predetermined breaks.

During one such break, Rey asked, "Where are you taking me?"

The leader did not say a word and motioned for the rest to be silent. "Can't say. There might be other scavengers around."