Chapter 66 - The Temple

Rey sat in the middle of her hut, fiddling with her staff. She had chosen two additional gems from the container in Master Luke's hut, and she was altering her staff as a secret weapon. When she would finish, one small recessed button would activate the blades on either end of the staff. I just hope Master Luke won't be upset that I took the gems without asking, she thought as she continued to work on the placement of the wires to the activation button. At least Master Naluma kept him distracted for me. I wish I could have known her when she was alive. She seems to be having as much fun planning this surprise for Master Luke as I am.

She flicked the button, and both ends sprung to live with blue short blades. She picked up the staff and started her exercises with it.

"Good. Good," acknowledge Ani, appearing behind her. "No, keep your hands in tight. You may be switching between weapons. Let's keep it tight so you don't cut off a hand. Enough people in this family have lost a hand already."

Rey looked at him, questioning.

"It seems to be a family trait. I suggest avoiding it as long as possible," remarked Ani.

"Sounds like a plan," agreed Rey as she spun her staff.

"This should be your weapon of last resort. The blades are short, and your natural striking position will slow someone down, but not kill," indicated Ani.

"You don't like it?" asked Rey.

"I didn't say that. I think you did a fine job on it. I just don't think that it will ever replace your sabers," indicated Ani. "He's coming. Put it away."

Rey quickly deactivated the staff, shouldered it, and met Master Luke outside her hut. He nodded to her and led her down the causeway.

___________________________

They continued about a third of the way down to the middle plateau. Master Luke maintained a garden on this level, as well as an outdoor shower. He ignored both but moved toward the only other structure on the level: a large gathering hut—or so Rey thought.

"What's this?" asked Rey. She felt cold all at once, as well as identifying this structure as the source of the additional Force on this island.

"The Temple," mentioned Luke.

"I feel cold," indicated Rey. "What's in there?"

"Ghosts of the past, your fears, your hopes, the Force," spoke Luke. "Enter."

___________________________

Rey cautiously entered the building, taking gentle steps, hoping not to awake any evil specters. She heard noise to her right and to her left. She turned quickly, holding the hilts of her sabers. "Who's there?" she asked quickly. She moved down the corridor, peering in the darkness. "Show yourself, coward!"

She moved slowly to the end. As she followed the corridor as it curved around the beehive shape, she saw her. It was her mother, standing at the end of the corridor. "Mother!" she screamed and ran toward Leia's open arms.

As soon as she reached her mother, a dark figure appeared out of the shadows. "Never!" screamed Kylo Ren, racing toward Rey with his blade drawn.

Rey interposed herself between her mother and her brother, drawing both sabers. Kylo struck at her head. She blocked his attack with the dual blades.

"No! Don't fight! Remember the goal, Rey! Save him!" begged Leia, moving out from under her daughter's protection. "Ben! It doesn't have to be this way! Please!"

Rey thrust out, spinning around, bringing her sabers together with the magnet, attacking the creature.

Kylo Ren took a step back, analyzing the situation. "Impressive, but there is a defense." While Rey attacked in a windmill motion, Kylo twisted his blade on the lower end of hers, catching it out of her hand and sending it flying. "Silly girl." Rey pulled her staff off her back. Kylo laughed at her and taunted, "What good will a staff be against my blade?"

Rey started her attack, activating her blades at the last minute and thrusting one through his heart. She stood there, holding the staff while it pierced his heart and he gurgled. Leia screamed, "No! You were both to live!"

"I couldn't let him kill you, Mother," defended Rey.

"He would never kill me, Rey," spoke Leia. "And now, Snoke will win. You are lost, Rey."

"Never!"

"Only together could you ever hope to defeat him," mentioned Leia.

Rey kneeled down and cried. When she lifted her head, the area was an open room and the only one present was Master Luke. "I failed," stated Rey.

"I know. But now you know how to defeat Snoke. On this all depends," mentioned Luke.

_on\���"<�