Chapter 56 - Granddad Again

Rey awoke in the middle of her first night on Ahch-To cold—freezing cold. She did not realize anyone could be so cold. She shivered in her beehive stone hut, listening to the rain pour and the wind howl. There was no door to her cell, just a doorway. The wind was blowing the rain inside, hitting her occasionally. Rain, that's something new, too. How do people deal with this? I'd rather be broiling under Jakku's sun. She tried to gain some warmth by pulling her legs up to her chest and wrapping her arms around them, tucking the blanket in, but her teeth still chattered.

After an hour, of this, she gave in and got up. It was still pitch black out, and the clouds obscured the moonlight. Feeling through the Force around the chamber, Rey found the cargo crates her uncle had pointed out earlier. She had refused to change her clothing at the time, not wanting to lose the only thing familiar. "Be honest, Rey, you did not want to fully give in to this new life. You're afraid of where this will lead," Ani mused.

"You're not helping, Granddad. Help me get this crate open before I freeze to death. How can it be so cold here?" asked Rey.

"It's not that cold. You should try Hoth. Even I was cold there under my lifesupport suit. The circuits started freezing before I got out of there," remarked Ani in her head as he guided her to the latches on the case. "Flip those latches up, and then lift the lid," indicated Ani.

"Thanks," replied Rey as she opened the crate. Feeling with her hand, she lifted the first item out of the case. "What is this?"

"A tunic. It fastens in the front. These are Padawan uniforms," informed Ani. Rey pulled the tunic out and after turning it around a few times successfully shoved her arms through the correct holes and fastened the wool uniform. "There should be some trousers as well," mentioned Ani. Rey found them and put them on backward the first time. By the time she was dress properly she was slightly warmer.

"Check the other crate. There might be a robe or jacket or something in there," suggested Ani. Rey opened the other crate and found a hooded long jacket. She wrapped herself in it, sealing all but her nose within it. Now, this was warm.

"Thanks, Granddad. Now if only I could banish the dreams . . ." mentioned Rey as she climbed back onto the wood pallet stuffed with turf for a mattress.

Ani sat down near the head of the bed, he positioned his body so that she could lean against the Force-barrier he made with his body. He stroked her head and covered her with the blanket. "Just like old times, Rey," mentioned Ani as she fell asleep.

"I love you, Granddad," mumbled Rey as she fell back to sleep in relative warmth and comfort. "Maybe this won't be so bad, after all."

"Hush. Sleep. You have a tough day tomorrow," comforted Ani.

_________________________

The next morning Rey awoke lying flat on the bed. Ani was gone. In the daylight streaming through the doorway, Rey could see that the bed was nothing but a few shipping crates cut and welded together. Her mattress had been turf—green, moist, and full of soil. She stood up, stretching, trying to remember anything from the night before.

Her clothing felt different. She inspected it—steel grey trousers and tunic under a steel grey long coat with a hood. She looked at the toes of her socks, realizing they were poking through the ends. Guess I should stop being so stubborn and get with the program, mused Rey to herself. She could feel the awareness of Master Luke floating around this whole place. He knew she was up, and he was waiting for her. Rey quickly removed her old scavenger clothes and redressed. After finding some new socks in one of the crates, she slid on her boots and grabbed her lightsaber—her lightsaber. It's so odd to think of that as mine. At least Granddad's happy I get to keep it.

_________________________

Rey followed Luke's awareness to the summit of the island. She could tell that he was meditating to the sound of the waves and the birds. No, he was talking to someone, too. I thought this planet was deserted. Who is it? Rey's adrenaline shot up as she neared the locale. She stood behind him a few meters back behind the rocks that rose to her right.

A beautiful woman with long black hair was dressed in robes similar to Master Luke. The woman stood on thin air. Is that possible? Can someone just stand like that? Then a cloud shifted, revealing the sun. The light shone through the woman, and Rey knew she was seeing a ghost. She could just barely hear the conversation.

_________________________

"It's been too long, Naluma," spoke Luke. "I need your help. I haven't done this in over a decade."

"You can do this, My Love. You did just fine training me. Start with the basics," suggested the ghost.

Luke smiled, remembering the time he and Naluma worked through advanced training on this planet. He had started back at the basics then. He could do it again. "Levitation and shielding?"

"Levitation and shielding," remarked the woman with a warm smile and a slight nod. "Each day you train her is a day closer to returning Ben to the light, a day closer to your coming to me."

"Oh, Naluma, how I long for that day," uttered Luke with deep feeling.

"I know, but you know it's not time yet. Plagueis must be destroyed. Don't lose sight of the task," cautioned Naluma. As she faded away, Jedi Master Luke Skywalker raised his hand toward her, straining to touch the ephemeral being.

_________________________

Rey spoke loudly, interrupting Master Luke's farewell, "Granddad could show you a thing or two. The Force-barrier he uses isn't exactly the same as touching each other, but it's close enough for me."

Luke turned around quickly, seeing her. "Oh, you're up. Hungry?" Rey nodded. "Come on, then. Breakfast before shielding."

T|T3>�Ի���