Chapter 61 - Force Visions

Rey awoke screaming, finding her grandfather with his arms around her and Master Luke in front of her, reaching his hand out to her head. "Get out of my head!" she screamed.

"Shhhh. Rey, it's okay," calmed Ani. "He was just bringing you out of it."

"It wasn't real?" asked Rey, damp with sweat and truly frightened.

Master Luke nodded his head no. "Force vision. How long have you been having them?"

"Years. Usually, just this island, or the vision I had on Takodana," explained Rey.

"You were projecting this one. It woke me," mentioned Luke.

"I'm sorry," apologized Rey. "I never meant to—"

"No. Don't apologize. Was this the first time you had seen this?" asked Luke.

"Yes. I don't quite remem— Oh, I saw you. I saw you . . . die," stated Rey. "And then he was going to kill me—" Luke just stared at her, the moonlight beaming in through the hole in the ceiling casting eerie shadows in her hut. "You're not even upset!"

"Relax. Force visions change, as other circumstances come in to play. The future is always in motion," instructed Luke. "Don't think this has to happen just because you saw it happen."

"How can you be so calm?"

"This isn't the first time I've seen my death. And it won't be the last time. But the visions have changed throughout the years," explained Luke.

"But aren't you afraid?" asked Rey.

"Afraid of what? Of death? I will become one with the Force. I will rejoin my wife, whom I miss desperately," admitted Luke. "There is nothing to fear in death, as long as you follow the light."

"I don't understand. I thought granddad was forced to be a ghost to atone for past deeds," said Rey.

"No," remarked Ani with a laugh. "I get to be a ghost because I turned to the light, Rey. If I had stayed in the dark, I would be confined in the dark spirit world for all eternity," explained Ani. "As a follower of the light, my essence joined with the Force, and I am allowed as a servant of the Force to apparate at will and help the Force bring forth its will."

"Tell me about your dream," prodded Luke.

"I was fighting Kylo Ren. We often fight in my dreams. This one went quickly, though. I killed him instantly," spoke Rey. "And then this deformed being came out of the shadows— and then you were there, fighting this being. He used lightning on you—I didn't know we could do that, by the way. He mentioned something about no one being there to save you this time and that he would finish you off properly. You extinguished your saber and yelled at me to run as you absorbed the energy and burned."

"That was Snoke. He's sending these visions to keep you off-balance. Ignore them," directed Luke.

"What about that lightning?"

"It's a dark side power," mentioned Luke.

"Can it be countered?" asked Rey.

"I'm not sure," admitted Luke. "I've only dealt with it once myself. Let's just say, I was shocked." He smiled, chuckling at his bad joke, trying to lighten the mood. Rey smiled back.

Ani spoke up, "There are two ways to counter Force lightning. The first is your lightsaber. It will absorb and deflect it. But it is limited to the plane that the blade is aimed at. Lightning has a tendency to spread out in a semi-circle. The other way is a Force-barrier deflection, but the power exerted to create the barrier often drains the Jedi before the opponent can be vanquished."

"So, there's hope," mentioned Rey.

"Yeah, there's always hope," agreed Luke.

"How can we practice a defense against it?" asked Rey.

"Only way to practice the defense is to be subjected to it," informed Ani. He looked at Luke.

"Don't look at me. I'm not touching it, if it's dark side," argued Luke. "Besides, I need to learn how to defend myself against it."

"Please, Granddad," pleaded Rey.

"I don't know if I can do it in this incarnation," mentioned Ani. "I am part of the light, now. And, no, I'm not calling Dooku back from the spirit world. He can stay there and rot, as far as I'm concerned."

"You could do that?" asked Luke.

"This conversation is going places it shouldn't," mentioned Ani.

"How is a power of the Force considered to be the dark side? Doesn't it matter about the intent you use it for? I mean, when I use my saber to defend myself or others, it is of the light. But if I use to attack a helpless person, it is of the dark. The saber is neither light nor dark. It is neutral. The light and the dark come in when the wielder uses it. Shouldn't that be the same with this Force lightning? It is a tool and nothing else," debated Rey.

Ani looked at Luke, "She does have a sharp mind. Reminds me of Padmé. What do you think?"

"Logic seems right. I guess we can find out tomorrow when you give us a demonstration," replied Luke with a twinkle in his eye.

Ani opened his mouth to retort, but Rey spoke first, trying to stave off an argument between the two. "How about we discuss this in the morning? I could use some sleep," mentioned Rey with a yawn.

"Morning then, Father. We'll meet you on the plateau after breakfast," agreed Luke.

"Wait! I didn't say I was going to do it—"

Luke winked at him as he left the little hut. Ani muttered a few things about duplicitous children before wrapping his arms around Rey and shielding her mind from any Force visions for the rest of the night.

-S~