Chapter 67 - Don't Be Deceived

Rey woke screaming in the middle of the night. It was the scene from the Temple yet again, mixed with her other dream. It was urgent! It was now! She had to go now, or all would be lost!

She raced out of her hut in the darkness to her uncle's hut. Without even the courtesy of a knock, she hurried inside . . . she thought she would have to wake him, but instead she found him sitting on his bed, "holding" the ghost of his wife in his arms. A few days before Ani had shown Naluma how to build a Force barrier. It was not quite the same as real touch, but for Luke and Naluma it was closer than they had been in 14 years. His face was content, almost joyous as he sat there. Rey was sure they were carrying on a private conversation via mindspeech, but she had no choice but to interrupt.

"Master, I must leave. Can't you feel the Force? Does it not spur you on?" asked Rey.

Luke released Naluma and nodded.

"Well, then call Artoo back," pleaded Rey. "The First Order is starting their invasion."

"They haven't arrived yet, Rey. They are starting their preparations. We still have a time," corrected Luke.

"And I'm telling you, we don't," argued Rey. "Where's your communicator? How do I get off this planet?"

"There isn't one," informed Luke. "At least not like you're thinking." He rose from the bed roll on the floor and slowly led her out of the hut. Naluma followed them, hovering nearby. Luke's glowlamp gave off just enough light to lead them down the causeway to the lowest plateau, where the Falcon had landed months before.

The crashing of the waves seemed even louder at night in the darkness, but the moon shone brightly overhead. Luke led Rey to the western edge of the plateau, where the waves buffeted against his crashed X-Wing. "There!" pointed Luke.

"That ship will never fly again, Master. The salt water has corroded too many parts," objected Rey.

"Even so, raise it," instructed Luke.

"It's too big," argued Rey before she even started.

"How will you know that unless try?" asked Luke.

"You're the one telling me to either do or don't do it," said Rey. We have to leave, now! How stupid could he have been to have exiled us both here. That ship is not worth the effort.

"Then do," answered Luke calmly.

Rey took a deep breath and brought herself into relaxation. She allowed the Force to move within her, and then she lifted her hand toward the fighter. The craft lifted, draining the water. Rey opened her eyes as it continued to lift, a smile broaching her face. The agonizingly slow process was maintained until she brought it to rest in the center of the plateau. The plateau instantly sunk underneath its weight and the weight of the water still draining.

"Excellent!" yelled Luke. Naluma beamed brightly in exuberance as well. Luke moved to the craft and ran his hands over the fuselage. He used the Force to hoist himself on top of the nose and to pop the canopy. More water ran out. "Go get a bucket so we can bail this thing."

"Yes, Master," answered Rey as she started to run back up the causeway.

_______________________________

Once they had bailed out the cockpit, Luke jumped inside and started flicking switches. Nothing worked. "It's all still waterlogged," mentioned Rey.

"Well, then, let's fix it," remarked Luke, with more energy than Rey had seen in years. "Follow my lead, Padawan." Luke closed his eyes and pushed the Force through the inner workings of the cockpit. "You take the engine compartment." Fine spray purged itself from the craft, turning into a fine mist. "Now heat the air within the compartment."

Steam rose from the seals of all of the compartments; but after a few minutes, it was dried out. Luke flipped a few switches, and the console lights turned on. The engines would not fire, but that was not what he needed. This craft was probably not spaceworthy, and he was not going to risk any living creature to confirm that fact.

Luke flicked a few more toggles, one a couple of times; and the comm system came to life. Rey jumped up and held her position with a grip on the cockpit edge and one of the footholds on the side of the fuselage. She smiled as she saw the communicator come to life.

Luke tuned in a particular frequency. "That's not the Resistance frequency," corrected Rey.

"I'm not calling the Resistance. Artoo always monitors this frequency," explained Luke. A few beeps returned over the damaged speaker. At least it was binary. It did not sound that different than usual. "Artoo, it's Master Luke." The droid chirped a happy greeting. "It's time. Have Chewie bring the Falcon, immediately. We're coming home." Artoo ran off a string of binary at him as his servo gears started and spilled over the signal. "See you in a few days." The call ended.

"That's it?" asked Rey.

"That's it," answered Luke.

"What about the attack?"

"I transmitted in code the pending attack. They're fine right now. He will notify Leia and then find Chewie. I suggest we pack up and be ready," suggested Luke. He stopped, looking to Naluma. She nodded at him, approval of something. "Rey, remember the Temple?"

Rey nodded, scared.

"Remember what Leia said? You are to save Ben above all things. Tough choices will have to be made. If you make the wrong one, all will be lost. Follow the Force in all things."

"What? What's going to happen?" asked Rey.

"Too many options right now. The future is swirling swiftly. There is a cloud, a cloud of the dark side over it. Don't let anyone deceive you," warned Luke.

Ani appeared at this time. "Rey, Snoke knows who you are. He has known since you were born. He was settling for Ben, but now he wants you. Do not be deceived by him. He will tell you things that will tempt you, but they will be lies. Please, stick to the plan, and save your brother."

"I will. I will not fail either of you. There is nothing Snoke can say or do that will make me turn," vowed Rey.

"Rey, when you think you are infallible, that is when you will fall," warned Luke.

","rolW|