Chapter 40 - The Jedi Were Real

As Rey entered the main hold, she giggled. Finn had accidentally hit a button on the Dejarik table, and the pieces magically appeared, fighting with each other in the middle of a game. Rey thought, I wonder how long it's been since somebody played that game. It could have been decades for all we know. The Wookiee gave a moan of interest as the players moved on the table. I think Chewie knows this game very well. I wonder if he would teach me.

Before Rey could even begin to figure out the rules and the strategy, Finn found the controls to switch it off. Funny, a few minutes ago I was worried about my life, and now I'm upset about a stupid game. Focus, Rey, you're life is still in—

Han interrupted her thoughts, "So, fugitives, huh?"

Rey replied, "The First Order wants the map."

Han's expression changed to one of skepticism toward her and Finn but softness when she mentioned the map. Please, help us. Don't turn us away, pleaded Rey, not sure if she was directing her thoughts to herself, to Han, or to that mysterious voice she kept hearing.

Han spoke to BB-8, "Let's see whatcha got."

The little droid look back and forth between Han and Rey, beeping a few strings in binary. He's asking my permission? Rey provided it, "Go ahead."

Once the map was projected, it was obvious that the map was only a small portion of the galaxy, but what part it fit in, Rey sure did not know. She wish she still had access to those maps she had found on the Ravager years ago in the computer terminal. There was so much in that terminal! Why did they have to take it away. I lost so much knowledge that day, regretted Rey. There were so many unanswered questions. Why is Luke missing? Is he coward? Is he waiting for someone, somewhere? Something must have happened.

Rey heard the voice prompting her again, "Ask him, Rey." Rey took a deep breath and asked, "Why'd he leave?" She knew the answer she would receive would be very important in the near future. Her head was tingling as all of her senses were attuned to Han's reply—she would always remembered how he looked, the compassion and regret in his voice, the hesitation about his next step.

Han replied with a low voice full of regret, "He was training a new generation of Jedi. One boy, an apprentice turned against him, destroyed it all. Luke felt responsible . . . He walked away from everything."

Who? Who was the boy? Why wouldn't Luke have just killed the one responsible—end the terror?

The voice informed, "He loved the boy, Rey. As much as he loved those he had lost, he loved the boy. He believes there is still good in the boy, even now. He could not trust himself not to kill him out of revenge. The Force runs strong in our family, Rey, both sides. Never forget that or think that it will ever be easy to resist the dark side. That's what Luke is doing right now, resisting the dark side so that the boy can be brought back to the light."

"I don't understand," voiced Rey quietly, forgetting she was not alone. Neither Han nor Finn even realized she had spoken. She asked louder, "The Jedi were real?" but she did not even hear Han's answer because of the voice in her head.

"Of course, we're real. How else would I be able to be here talking to you? Only Jedi can be Force-ghosts, Rey." Force-ghost? Jedi? But what does this mean? "Luke is waiting for the right person to turn the boy back to the light. Luke knows there is good in him. Just as Luke knew there was still good in me, just as his mother always knew," explained the ghost.

He's waiting for me, isn't he? asked Rey. But she received no response. The voice had disappeared yet again. Yet, something clicked inside of Rey when she asked that question. Something told her that she was right. This was her destiny. She was scared. I'm no one's savior. What if I mess up? I'm just a scavenger, not a holy woman. I don't want this! Just send me back to Jakku and let me scavenge the rest of my life.

s