Chapter 19 - The Falcon

Rey sat at the scrubbing table once again, working away at the parts she had scavenged the last few days. Unkar was mysteriously gone today, but the villagers at the outpost said he would be back sometime today. So, Rey waited, and scrubbed, and waited some more.

She needed the rations, and she was berating herself for letting her supply get so low. She figured Ani could always steal some food from Unkar's for her, but she only wanted him to do that in a real emergency. It was not as if she had not missed a meal or two before in the last nine years since she had arrived on this wasteland.

A little alien with a breathing apparatus poked her to stop daydreaming and get on with her cleaning. Rey looked around, seeing no other scavengers waiting. She returned to her work, waiting for Unkar to return.

As she scrubbed at the fine dust in the groove of a pump, sand blew everywhere as a squashed spherical ship landed about a hundred meters away from the outpost. In the last nine years, Rey had never seen this ship before.

However, some of the older villagers knew it. One said, "I don't believe he did it. The Falcon. He actually stole the Millennium Falcon."

Rey started with a jolt when she heard that name. She remembered her Wookiee friends telling about this ship, about the Mighty Chewbacca and his co-pilot Han Solo. But how had Unkar obtained it? And why did the villagers recognize this ship? Had it been here before?

As the entry ramp lowered, Unkar spoke to one of his henchman, "The Irving Boys never knew what hit them. Finally, the Millennium Falcon. I don't know what I enjoy more—the fact that I swindled the Irving Boys or that I finally have repaid Solo for that laser blast his pet Wookiee gave me twenty-five years ago."

Unkar chuckled a hearty laugh as he walked across the hot sands of Jakku. "Tie her down and camouflage her, boys. We don't want anyone finding this ship."

The crime boss strode to his shop and opened up the metal window. Rey pulled her sled of parts to the window and started handing them to Unkar. "Hmm, one quarter portion. Two portions for this—you said it works?"

"Yes, but it's worth five portions." Rey looked carefully to her left and right, staff in her left hand ready to beat away any attacker. "I tested it on the Ravager. It's still fully operational."

"Three portions, and that's final."

Rey sullenly agreed as he looked at the rest of her pieces. She left the shed with eight portions—almost two weeks' worth of food if she were careful with it and stretched it.

As she walked back to her speeder, her eyes were drawn to the Millennium Falcon. As she watched the camouflage netting being draped over the hull, Rey found herself transported into the cockpit, flying the craft across the desert.

She shook her head to clear the vision, scared. It was so real. She would have to ask her granddad about it next time he appeared.

 She would have to ask her granddad about it next time he appeared