Chapter 36 - Tractor Beam

Finn. So his name is Finn. Strange, he doesn't have a surname. Well, neither do I. And he can shoot well, even if he was cocky! And I can't believe that I was able to fly this piece of junk out of the atmosphere! I can't believe she held toge—

But her thoughts were interrupted when a pipe burst behind them in the engine compartment. Rey yelled, "Help me with this! Quick!" as she ran to the broken equipment. I knew this ship wasn't safe. How badly did they put that sublight engine back together the last time it was torn apart? I hope we can fix this, or we might just die out here together, stranded in space, just drifting, thought Rey. It would have been better to be blown to bits than to starve or suffocate.

After Finn helped her lift the heavy grating from the engine compartment, Rey climbed into the compartment, the steam burning her face as she inspected the damage. A hose had burst on the motivator. Without it, the hyperdrive would overheat, and toxic gas would spew everywhere.

Instruments beeped all at once, warning her of the toxic fumes and rising temperature in the hyperdrive. Rey yelled for a Harris wrench, having to give specific directions to Finn. He obviously is not mechanical. It's a wonder he can shoot, thought Rey. It would be faster if I hopped out of this pit and grabbed the tools myself! . . . We're about to die! Stop whining about the First Order right now! Just bring the whole tool chest over, you idiot! Then it hit her. If they did get this fixed, where would they go? Her eyes settled on BB-8. The droid. I have to take care of the droid and get him back to the Resistance. But where?

Rey popped her head up again and said, "BB-8 said the location of the Resistance Base is 'need to know.' If I'm taking you there, I need to know!"

Finn finally found the Harris wrench and threw it at Rey, who caught it deftly with her right hand. Rey could not believe his lack of knowledge of basic tools.

While Rey headed down into the belly of the engine compartment, steam burned her forehead. The hose was not only burst, but the clamp had come off as well. She was going to have to take off the motivator housing in order to reach the clamp.

Rey popped up again asking, "Pilex driver, hurry!" As Finn crawled back to the tool kit, Rey asked, "So, where's your base?"

After Finn finally convinced BB-8 to tell her the system, another venting began on the joint where the hose met the pipe. She popped back up and ordered, "I need the binding tape, hurry!" Again, he had no clue! Really, electrical tape would not hold up in this heat. Neither would masking. Doesn't even know what binding tape is?! I might as well do everything myself! Men! thought Rey in frustration. He finally threw it to her, just in time for Rey to repair the breach.

Through her concentration, Rey caught a barrage of his questions, "Why go back? You got a family? You got a boyfriend? A cute boyfriend?"

Great, now he's hitting on me! I don't need a boyfriend, you barmpot. I just want to get back to Jakku, which you keep insulting. A hot, dusty rock or not—it is my home! Stop disrespecting it and me, thought Rey, fed up with this guy. Let me just get the droid back to the Resistance and me back to Jakku. That's all I want. Is it that too much to ask? I never wanted to leave there, at least not like this.

And then she heard it. That voice again. "Peace. Forget Jakku and look to your future, Rey."

Before she could respond to the voice, the lights flickered, and the engines wound down. A gigantic clunk was heard, and she knew they were in bigger trouble than before. Now we have no power! Everything is checking out as normal down here. Must be something else, Rey thought as she climbed out of the compartment and ran to the cockpit. Finn followed her, climbing into the co-pilot's seat.

Rey flicked switches, desperately trying to start the ship up again. She started to hyperventilate as she realized they were drifting once again—no, not drifting. Great! We're in a tractor beam. Is it Unkar and his pirates or the First Order?

A large clank was heard above them, beyond the view of the cockpit canopy. Finn and Rey looked up, trying to view anything above them. They looked at each other in realization that things just went from bad to worse.

Finn climbed on top of the console to peer out the canopy. He shoved his hand on top of her head, trying to steady himself.

Rey shoved his hand off, ordering, "Get off! Get off!"

Finn grabbed onto the canopy supports and looked out the viewport. He saw something big—black with red lights illuminating the landing bay. He started breathing quickly in fear.

Rey asked, "See anything?"

Finn replied, "Oh, no," as the freighter was drawn into the larger ship. Finn collapsed in the co-pilot's seat and revealed, "It's the First Order."

Rey started looking around the cockpit and asked, "What do we do? There must be something."

Finn looked at her directly and stated, "You said poisonous gas."

Rey looked back at him, thinking he was losing it, "I fixed that."

Finn asked, "Can you unfix it?"

Brilliant idea! I wonder if these breathing masks were to designed to filter out toxins or just provide oxygen in space? It doesn't seem to fit well, thought Rey as they headed back to the engine pit. Figures his only idea is breaking what I just fixed.

Rey started hyperventilating again as the reality of their predicament crashed down on her. Rey jumped into the pit and dragged the heavy deck plate back into position over their heads. Finn was yelling something at the droid, and droid was giving it back to him.

A dull thud was heard outside the ship. Rey knelt down and worked on the pipe again. She asked, "Do you think this will work on the stormtroopers?"

Finn responded without thinking, "Yeah. Their masks filter out smoke, not toxins."

He doesn't know a Harris wrench from a Pilex driver, but he knows something like that? Where has he been all of his life? Under a rock? And he insults Jakku!

Finn stood up and lifted the deck plate, to peer out at the rest of the cabin. More sounds were heard as their captors approached. It sounded like the loading ramp was lowering. Then there were quick footsteps.

Finn urged, "Hurry!"

Like he has to tell me that! Goodness! What does he think I'm doing, twiddling my thumbs? thought Rey as she worked on loosening the housing so she could get to the clamp. She really did not want to undo that binding tape, as removal of it might disintegrate what was left of the old hose.

Metal whirred as Finn kept his eyes glued to the main hatch. He dropped the grate back down just as the hatch opened.

Ani looked on. The day had finally arrived. Rey had escaped Jakku. There was no turning back. She had escaped as he had seen it so many years ago, and on the Falcon. She had escaped in her ship! And her family had come back for her.

Ani could see his son-in-law standing in the landing bay, gazing in love at the old ship—his eyes filled with tears, and his Wookiee partner just as emotional. Ani just wished that the smuggler would love his family as much as he loved this ship. If so, Ben might be saved.