Chapter 72 - Only For You, Mother

Snoke summoned Rey once again into his presence at ship time 0200. I'm exhausted. Does this man never sleep? thought Rey while carefully shielding her thoughts from her new master. He could pick up even the briefest of thoughts, she had discovered.

Snoke sat upon his throne on the Finalizer, not a projection this time, but the real thing. He towered above Rey, and she knew it was to keep her feeling small and inconsequential. Rey maintained her dignity, while still showing respect to her master. He may rule her, but he would not intimidate her.

"So glad you could join us," greeted Snoke, hinting at a distaste in her tardiness.

It had been two days thus far since that moment on D'Qar when Rey had chosen her path. She would follow this path, but she would do it on her own terms. Her first sign of rebellion was moving at her own pace and not hurrying when summoned. She would not be moved through fear, no matter what Snoke would do to her. He had shown his hand too early—she was too valuable to him. She knew he would not kill her. Everything else he could do to her, she would endure.

Rey looked around the chamber. Two officers stood to the side with a stormtrooper in between them, collapsed on the floor. He wore only the black undersuit to his armor, and he had obviously been punished already. While the man was paler in skin color, he instantly reminded her of Finn. Her heart clenched when she thought of her friend. She quickly shoved that feeling of regret into the silent spaces of her heart.

"Meet NJ-2423. An example of what a stormtrooper should not be. Even repeated reconditioning has not encouraged bravery. His continual cowardice has resulted in his termination," mentioned Snoke. "You need practice. Commence."

Rey looked at Snoke and then at the trooper. He would not be much of an opponent. She drew her blade, her new one, the red one. Her other two were hidden in her quarters. She had been unable to destroy them when Snoke commanded. She turned back to her target and drew back her arm to administer the blow.

Snoke held up his hand and paralyzed her. "No. Not with the saber. That would be too merciful for a coward. He must suffer pain for the pain he has caused his squad."

When Rey's arm dropped, she returned the saber to her belt and swallowed, unsure she could do this. She knew what Snoke wanted.

"Find the anger within you, Apprentice. They lied to you! They pretended it was all for your good, but in the end they lied. Abandoned on Jakku, trained for their own purposes, their own agendas. This is the only way to bring your mother back. Follow your anger! Revel in it and take the power! Let it fill you. This man is dead already, whether you do it or someone else does. Kill him," ordered Snoke.

Snoke is wise, wiser than even Master Luke. He knows so much about the Force that Master Luke and granddad had not even been hinted at. He has promised me that he would bring mother back. Anything is worth that, thought Rey as she pulled her hands up, ready to strike. "Move away from him," she spoke nervously to the two officers.

"No," countermanded Snoke. "Officers must share in the shame of their underlings. If you won't do it, I will, and you will join them."

This is the path of my choosing, Rey reminded herself. I just never knew how much it would cost to get her back. Rey hesitantly lifted her hands, closed her eyes, and let the lightning flow toward the man. All three writhed in agony on the floor. Rey pulled away with their screams, unable to go on.

"No. Do not stop until he is dead," ordered Snoke. "How can you possibly be powerful enough to conquer death if you cannot embrace it when it is deserved?"

Rey took a deep breath and murmured, "Only for you, Mother." She lifted her hands and sent forth the lightning until the man collapsed, his life Force gone. The two officers collapsed in agony, but they were still alive. Rey lowered her hands.

"Finish them," ordered Snoke.

"No. Good officers are hard to find, and they did nothing to incur a death penalty," argued Rey. "They will be more loyal if you spare them now."

"Very well," conceded Snoke. "Mercy can have its uses when dealing with mere men. Remove them from my sight and return to your quarters. We will review your performance tomorrow. I expect a full analysis."

"Yes, Master," acknowledged Rey before dragging the men out of the room. She stopped in the corridor outside the throne room and cried.