Chapter 64 - Back to the Staff

Rey woke up to sunbeams streaming into her hut . . . and her granddad standing at the foot of her cot, apparently waiting for her. As she rubbed the sleep from her eyes, he greeted, "Good morning."

"'Morning," mumbled Rey.

"Let's get moving. I need to show you something before your uncle wakes up," mentioned Ani.

"What? He's not up already? How early is it?" asked Rey. Luke was usually up and meditating hours before Rey each day.

"Come on and bring your staff," urged Ani. Rey clipped on both of her lightsabers to her belt, grabbed her jacket and her staff, and exited her hut into the brisk morning with the sunbeams shining through the remnants of the clouds.

Ani led her down the causeway. Rey had to carefully pick her way down the steps, jumping over a few and using the Force to levitate herself over the washed-out sections. She was grateful she had her staff to help maintain her balance.

"Where are we going?" asked Rey.

"The storm unearthed something that I think we can use," indicated Ani as he led her to the tip of the island. "There!"

"It's just a rock, Granddad. You brought me here to look at a rock? You're as bad as Uncle Luke," said Rey.

"Enough. Take one of your sabers and slice the tip off of it," instructed Ani.

As Rey bent down, the saber on her left hip attached itself to the rock. It was stuck so firmly, she could not break free from it. "Unclip that one from your belt," instructed Ani. "Then use the Force to remove it from the rock."

"The rock is magnetized?" asked Rey, finally understanding.

"Yes. The lightning storm hit it a few times. The iron in it magnetized. Slice the tip off about 5 centimeters down, so that the tip is flat," directed Ani.

Rey took out her new saber and sliced the tip off of the rock. It was almost a pyramid in shape on the southern tip of the island. The rock stood about two meters above the lower plateau of this end of the island. Nothing was higher than it for at least 50 meters. She picked up the removed tip and tossed it in the air, feeling the weight of it. It was heavier than she thought it would be.

"Set that aside. We don't need it. Now, I want you to slice another piece off, parallel to the first cut, about 3 centimeters down," indicated Ani. "No, a little lower. The blade will consume part of it. You want a piece 3 centimeters thick when you're done."

Rey moved her blade and cut the piece. When she was done, it looked like a small, flat cylinder. It was at least 2 kilograms in weight, maybe 3. "Now what?"

"Attach it to the base of the hilt of your new saber," instructed Ani. Rey followed his direction. "Now attach the base of my saber to it, joining the sabers together."

Rey did so and activated the sabers together. She swung them around a bit with simple staff forms, but she had to catch herself as she moved one hand a little high on the hilt and almost cut herself. She deactivated them and accused her granddad, "You knew, didn't you? Back when you taught me the staff on Jakku?"

Ani nodded his head. "But I don't think your uncle knows. Let's surprise him." Ani winked and Rey giggled, luxuriating in the bond with her granddad. She could feel it now, that Padawan-Master bond she shared with Master Luke, she also shared with Ani. Maybe it was because of the familial relation, too, but there was definitely the training bond as well. "Now, so you don't slice your hand off inadvertently, put the sabers down and grab your staff. We'll start with basic forms and start adjusting your grips to be closer together." Rey set the joined sabers down on the turf and hefted her staff. "Ready, begin. 1, 2, 3, 4. 1, 2, 3, 4. 4, 3, 2, 1 . . ."

Rey started her regular drills. It felt just like the cellar on Jakku. "Argh!" she growled as her hands slipped further apart. "But with the further grip, I won't have the leverage I need, Granddad."

"You'll have the ability to cut and won't need the strength behind it. Besides, you should be using the Force. Even when you don't think you need it, use it. Let it move you. Let it direct your movements," instructed Ani.

Rey continued her techniques, moving into her spins and turns. It had been weeks since she had worked out with the staff, since Jakku at least. Her shoulders burned, as different muscles were used in some of the staff movements than the saber movements. This feels so much more natural to me. I hope it will work well with the sabers. I hope Master Luke will be pleased.

"You're slipping again with your left hand. Bring it closer," directed Ani. "Footwork, too. Good. Good. I think this will work."

After an hour workout, Ani finally let her try it with the sabers. "Put your new saber on stun and move it to the lower position. Now, let's start slowly through the staff forms and adjust as we go. 1, 2, 3, 4; 1, 2, 3, 4; 1, 2, 3, 4; 4, 3, 2, 1—spin, drop, 3, 1, over the head, jump. Good! Work them in. Now disconnect and start your dual saber technique."

"I can't. The magnet's too strong," complained Rey as she stopped. Ani just looked at her, rolling his eyes. "I know. Use the Force. It's going to take a little bit of time to get used to this, Granddad."

"Well, don't take too long. the First Order is making plans and about to implement them," warned Ani. "You have to be ready, Rey, and soon!"

80%Ϗ�I8�