Chapter 78 - Leading by Love

Lady Rey of Ren stood in the maintenance bay, looking over the ships, electronics, and machines under repair. The bay was in the belly of the star destroyer, four hundred meters square and 30 meters tall. She stood on the observation landing to the main stairwell, about 10 meters above the deck.

To her right were the smaller maintenance units. Droids and technicians worked on a variety of devices, from medical units to military. To her left was the landing area for ships. Two TIE fighters and a troop transport were currently in for servicing. Rey could feel the frustration from one of the technicians as they worked on . . . the power converters.

She stood for a moment, trying to put on her most intimidating pose, trying to remember the videos of her granddad. Just the thought of him brought him to life in front of her, causing her to jump back.

"Rey," he mentioned. "These are good people. Most are here by coercion, not unlike yourself. Treat them well, and they will follow you."

I don't want them to follow me, Granddad, argued Rey through mindspeech.

"Yes, you do," countered Ani. "You cannot lead without followers. They will follow someone. You have to decide whether they will follow Snoke, Hux, or you."

Rey stared out at each of the men and women down there. She could feel their beating hearts through the Force, and the responsibility scared her. Could she lead them in this First Order ultimately to sacrifice them for her own goals? I won't lead them blindly. If they follow me, they risk death. I will risk everything to bring my mother back, including anyone who gets in the way.

"Rey," uttered Ani. "She will come back, one day. I promise, you'll see her. You don't need Snoke for this."

How do you know?

"I've seen her," admitted Ani.

Rey stared at him in wonder. Where? Where is she? She survived? I was wrong?

Ani hesitated, tears in his eyes.

You're lying . . . again, accused Rey.

"I cannot lie," reminded Ani. "It all depends on your point of view. Just be patient. Don't do anything you will regret later. There is still hope."

Rey nodded her added in acquiescence. How do I lead, Granddad? Large numbers of people still scared her. Going from living a solo life in the desert to being with a few people at a time had never prepared her for the constant emotions being thrust at her by the fifty-five men and women aboard the Finalizer. She felt their pain, their fear, their desires. Only her constant shields kept her from being overwhelmed by them.

Even now, a few had noticed her presence on the observation platform. The undercurrent of emotion was changing from concentrated focus on the task at hand to fear of punishment, or worse.

"Men will work harder for praise than in fear of retribution," mentioned Ani. "I learned that as a general in the Clone Wars. If people feel that you trust them and appreciate them, they will do anything for you, and they will naturally follow you. Do not follow the dark side here, Rey. A reign of terror does not inspire loyalty, only fear, which will lead to anger and suffering for all involved."

I'm not even here to lead these people, Granddad, just to identify the Force-sensitive, whined Rey. And I don't even know how to do that.

"Back to basics, Rey. Become at peace," instructed Ani. "Good. Now reach out with the Force, just scanning. Tell me what you feel."

They're calming down, now that I have done nothing, mentioned Rey.