Chapter 81 - There Is Still Hope

Rey had progressed with returning her computer console to operational function, but she left out the video camera and audio feeds. Privacy was a must, and she would destroy the console again to maintain it if necessary. Over the last two days she had identified eight men and women who were Force-sensitive. Her granddad was adamant that they had to be individual thinkers, ones that not only would follow her out of loyalty but who were also frustrated with the First Order. In order to protect her from Snoke, Ani would not reveal his plans to her.

Snoke was another problem. Rey suspected that he suspected her, but she felt he was waiting for the right time to spring the trap. Rey's goal was to put her plans into motion earlier than he would anticipate. Outguessing Snoke was difficult, and required Rey to keep her mind thinking of a betrayal much further away than it would really be.

Snoke had assembled Rey's recruits and given them their first lessons in reaching into their anger for using the Force. Tonight, Rey hoped to try something new with them. Rey progressed through the maintenance bays, coming up behind each one in turn. She whispered in their ears, "My quarters 1900 hours." Each nodded almost imperceptibly before Rey moved onto the next recruit.

Until they were trained to a basic level, Snoke had no intent to remove them from their current tasks, especially since the First Order was so low on qualified men after Starkiller. Rey moved through the other departments of the star destroyer, informing her men and women.

___________________________________

Rey's quarters looked much different than when they were Kylo Ren's. The torture chair had been removed, but the holes were still in the middle of the floor. The table of ashes and Vader's helmet were gone. All that was left was an empty room with a computer console and an alcove with her bunk, gear locker, and refresher unit.

Rey had repurposed the surveillance features on the computer console from spying on herself in the room to protecting herself from unwanted approach. The cameras were now mounted surreptitiously in the corridor outside her room, each with an audio feed.

Her recruits entered one at a time over the next quarter hour. Without speaking, Rey nodded with her head to sit on the deck. This was the first time Rey was going to attempt teaching, but if their plans were going to work, they had to learn the correct way to manipulate the Force.

Her Padawan—now that was strange—she was not even a Jedi, let alone a Master—but eight Padawan sat before her. They were her responsibility now, a responsibility that weighed heavily on her shoulders. Rey lowered herself to the deck, sitting cross-legged, facing her recruits. She smiled at them to set them at ease and to get her bearings.

"You have each agreed privately to this course of action. What we are about to start may end in your death, or worse. You may leave now, but this is your last chance," announced Rey, kneeling in front of them.

One asked, "What's worse than death?"

"The imprisonment of your soul in darkness . . . forever. And that is what awaits us all if Snoke has his way," informed Rey.

A young man at the rear of the room stood and announced, "I'm out. I don't want any of this."

Rey nodded and seemed to speak something to the air, but no one else could hear it. Immediately the chamber filled with energy and a blue form appeared before the young man.

"Who are you?" the young man asked, scared.

"We can't have you leaving with this in your brain. I'm sorry," explained Ani as he reached out his hand and touched the man's forehead. The man collapsed, but Ani caught him before he hit the deck. Ani levitated the man over to Rey's bunk and lay him on it.

"Who are you?" asked another of the recruits.

Rey cleared her voice. "I must apologize for not introducing you earlier. This is your new master, my granddad, Anakin Skywalker."

"Darth Vader?" asked one of the women in fear, drawing back.

"Not anymore. You have all been selected not only because you are Force-sensitive, but also because you have all expressed an interest in changing the galaxy for good. That good starts now. Become at peace. Release your anger. I am going to teach you how to tap into the Force beyond anything a Sith or a Knight of Ren can through anger. With peace, your entire being is emptied and the Force can fill it to overflowing. Breathe in, breathe out. Now feel the Force within you. Pull it to you. Now let it just flow. Pull it. Let it flow. Good. Now feel it among yourselves. Let it bind you together as a group. Good. Very good," approved Ani as the session continued.

___________________________________  

By the end of the evening, the recruits were able to shield their thoughts from everyone in the room, including Ani. Rey at her door as her guests left individually for their own quarters. After they had all left, Rey revived the man on her bunk. "You passed out in the corridor near here while you were working on that maintenance hatch. I thought it best to bring you in here until you were feeling better," explained Rey.

"I don't quite remember what happened," the man mentioned. "I just felt dizzy all of a sudden."

"I'll help you get back to your quarters," offered Rey.

"No, Lady Rey. I should not be seen coming out of your quarters with you. I can make it on my own," the man hesitated. "I still have half a shift to fulfill, too. I'd better get myself to the med bay before my supervisor comes looking for me."

___________________________________  

After he had left, Rey closed the hatch and sat on her bunk. Ani reappeared to her and sat next to her. "So, Granddad, what do you think about them?"

"They won't be worth much when we face Snoke," he analyzed. "We need more time."

"I know. Is this worse, subverting them like this? I mean, would it be easier for them just to go down the dark side?" asked Rey.

"We may not be able to save their lives, but we are saving their souls. That is what is most important Rey. Our time in this dimension here is limited. Eternity is forever. And the punishment that awaits the followers of the dark path is not just darkness, but pain as well. The pain that they inflict on others in this life, is multiplied a hundredfold on themselves in eternity," explained Ani.

Rey stared at him in wonder. She knew where he was right before he died. "Does that mean you'll have to go there one day to pay for the pain you inflicted?"

Ani smiled in relief and said, "No. The light side does not work that way. The light wants everyone with it. It won't compel. It is our choice. But once we make that decision, everything that we have ever done in the past is forgiven . . . even the mistakes we make in the future."

Rey could not take it all in. "You mean, there's still hope for me? I'm not doomed for all eternity."

"I wouldn't be here if there weren't, Rey. But you haven't made your choice yet. You need to decide, and quickly," urged Ani.

5