Chapter 58 - Lightsaber Drills

Rey stood at the top plateau, lightsaber in hand, eyes focused on Master Skywalker as he demonstrated the first positions in saber fighting.

"Hold it with both hands like this." Luke gripped his saber with his right hand on top of his left.

Rey adjusted her grip from the staff grip she was using. This transition is harder than I thought it would be, she griped to herself.

Master Skywalker activated his blade, the green blade hissing to life. Rey activated the blade in her hands, tracing figure eights in the air. "There are six basic parries: high outside, high inside, head, low outside, low inside, and prime," he indicated. He demonstrated while he faced her. "High outside, high inside, head, low outside, low inside, prime. All other moves are based on these basic six. Now you try them."

Luke stepped back and watched as Rey executed them clumsily and backward. "Try again. Here, I'll stand with my back to you. Follow my movements, even the footwork as you move."

Rey tried to follow him, but got messed up in the middle. She moaned in frustration.

Luke stopped his movements and admonished, "Return to peace, Rey. Don't let your emotions rule you. Now again, Outside high . . ."

Rey calmed herself and followed his movements. She concentrated just on the forms, although they felt so odd compared to her staff movements. More than once that afternoon she found herself wishing for her staff and not the lightsaber.

Master Skywalker continued the drills, seemingly tirelessly. Rey's back and shoulders ached, even burned. "Watch your footwork. As you move with your arms, your feet move, too. Your body should learn it together. It should be second nature. Do it again, with the proper footwork this time," he instructed, not even looking back over his shoulder at her.

He must be observing me through the Force. How else would he know how I'm doing with his back turned to me? thought Rey.

Ani spoke in her head, Rey! Pay attention to your footwork! If you move too short, you will overreach and lose your balance. Focus!

Not you, too, Granddad! complained Rey as she grunted through the movement. I'm about to collapse.

You think that won't happen in a duel? It was only a few days ago, Rey. You're never at your best in a duel. Keep going. Pull in the Force—

Master Skywalker swiveled at the point and went on the attack. Rey stumbled and then regained her balance. She pulled her saber up just in time to avoid being struck. And then she realized he was attacking in the pattern. All she had to do was to follow the pattern. Outside high—

"Do it over and over again until your muscles learn the moves," urged Luke patiently.

After the twelfth time, Rey was getting a rhythm to it. High outside, high inside, head, low outside, low inside, prime. After two passes, Master Skywalker encouraged, "Good. You're getting it, now. Watch your feet. You're overreaching."

Rey adjusted, feeling the weariness consume her. She closed her eyes and allowed the Force to flow through her, filling her with additional strength. Luke sped up the pattern, throwing an additional stroke in occasionally. "Good, you're using the Force. It's good for more than just strength, though."

Without warning, Luke changed the pattern. He kept his strikes to the six basic forms, but they came in a random order. Rey found herself barely defending against his blade. "That's not fair!"

Luke extinguished his blade, and with his hand on his hips asked, "What? A different pattern? In a duel, there will be no pattern. You must anticipate."

"Anticipate? Through what? Instinct? Body language?" asked Rey, upset.

"Partially. But mostly you will use the Force. You're a pilot. Have you ever had to leave somewhere quickly or make a sudden move with the controls?" asked Luke.

"Yes," answered Rey, not knowing what piloting had to do with saber fighting.

"And you did, just in time, didn't you?" asked Luke.

"Yes . . ." replied Rey.

"That was the Force. It will give you split-second insight and timing if you let it. If you don't, it will cost you your life," instructed Luke. He raised his hilt and ignited the blade again, "Ready?"

Rey moved into the ready position and grinned back at him, "Ready."

Luke swung at her, time after time. She did not always meet his attack, but he always pulled his stroke just in time to prevent injury. After a few minutes of defending, she struck back. Her body instinctively moved to staff forms, which were clumsy with a saber.

"Stop. Stop," directed Luke. "Not like that."

"Why? It works with a staff," argued Rey.

"Not with a saber. You don't have the weight of the other end of the staff to balance you. You'll end up falling into your opponent's saber," replied Luke.

"It worked on Kylo Ren," debated Rey.

"That is because Ben Solo never paid attention in his saber classes. Trust me, there are other Knights of Ren who are much better with a saber than he is, even if their Force-wielding is not as powerful," instructed Luke. Rey looked at him, shocked at the new information. "What? You thought you would only have to deal with Ben Solo? You may have to deal with the entire Order of Ren before you get to him. Snoke won't let him be in harm's way so quickly. Now again. This time use the proper forms."

"Yes, Master," agreed Rey, purposing to train her body to this new way of fighting. And this is just my first day! How much worse will it get?

Ani replied, You don't want to know. But you can handle it. Just don't give up. And, Rey, learn quickly. Your brother needs you.