Chapter 55 - Master Luke

Grand Jedi Master Luke Skywalker reached forth his mechanical hand and took the saber from Rey's left hand. What felt like an electric shock pulsed through her body as he took it. She was not sure if it was from the hand malfunctioning or the Force itself. She could tell Luke also noticed the shock, but he did not appear surprised.

He studied the saber, turning it over, looking for . . . something. He hefted it in his left hand, and then he brought it into ready position, turning it on with his right metallic thumb. The saber pulsed to life, humming in rhythm with his aura . . . or maybe his aura adjusted to the rhythm of the lightsaber.

Rey stood there, watching, wondering when he would speak. It had been minutes since he had taken the saber, but he acted as if she were not even present. She gasped, though, when he discarded his robe and began to move with the saber, flowing with the Force, moving in the air, jumping, tumbling, slicing through the air. It was not so much a demonstration, but a test of the weapon. Rey could feel that from him.

He came down from his last aerial tumble and landed in front of Rey, shocking her. He extinguished the saber and handed it back to her without a word. He turned from her, grabbed his robe, and headed down to a terrace of stone cells.

Rey followed, not sure what was going on. He ducked inside one and sat cross-legged on the cold ground. Rey could not believe how much colder it was on this planet. She had shivered up on the summit, and this stone cell was no warmer. She had no idea what she was supposed to do . . . sit down, wait on him, give him the saber again.

The master directed her to sit down with his left hand. He was on the packed clay floor. That was all there was to offer.

The cell was quite small. Rey had to bend over slightly to prevent hitting her head on the ceiling while she stood. She saw against the north side of the circular room his bed roll. He was using a pack stuffed with fabric as a pillow. In the center of the room under the roof hole was a small stove made of the same bricks as the cell. Its pipe extended through the hole, removing the exhaust from the room. A few books were stacked by his bedroll, but beyond a few dishes and utensils by the stove, the room held nothing else.

A pot sat on the stove, bubbling. Her uncle looked at her again, with his intense eyes. Rey was confused. "Do you want the saber or not?"

Luke just nodded at her as he dished out the soup. It smelled tantalizing, with chunks of fish, cubed root vegetables, and some greens. Rey's stomach growled. "Are you coming back with me or not? Chewie and Artoo are waiting."

Luke just looked at her, sizing her up. Rey could feel he was waiting for something, but she did not know what. Then she heard the Falcon launch, leaving without her. She was frightened, abandoned again with a strange man on an isolated planet. It was happening all over again!

"Well, I don't know what's going on. I came here because mother said you would train me, but now I'm not sure if I want to be trained by you," accused Rey. "Do you even know how to speak?"

Luke looked at her seriously and finally spoke. "Patience, Young One. All will be revealed in time. For now, eat."

His voice revealed the damage caused by the harsh conditions on this planet. It was coarse. Although, when Rey thought about it, she was sure she could hear some youthfulness still in it. He definitely was not old and decrepit like she thought he would be.

"I don't even know what to call you," mentioned Rey.

"That is yet to be determined. Go on, eat. Tell me what you think about the soup," urged Luke as he took a bite himself. "Mmmm. Maybe a little too hot, still, hmm?"

Rey blew on her spoon and sipped the soup. She had never had soup before, nor did she even know what fish was. Maybe some creature that lived on this island, or something, she thought as she tasted the broth. "It's good. Very good." She took another taste, this time with the meat . . . fish. "I like it, but I don't know if I'm a good judge. This is only my fourth meal made from real food."

Everything inside her was screaming to get on with the training, that there was no time to waste. Snoke was out there, ready to take possession of Ben, of her. And instead they were sitting here talking about soup.

Luke did not say another word while they ate. Rey moved impatiently at her seat on the hard clay, feeling the cold seep into her bones. Rey finished her food first, and she prevented herself from licking the bowl clean just in time. She sat, impatiently, waiting. How long do I have to wait? she wondered. She could not hold it in any longer. "How long until we start?" she asked.

"Not long. Not long at all," answered Luke mysteriously as he sat in front of her, his dish to his side.

Rey felt his peace, peace like she had never felt before. She calmed herself, feeling the Force roaring around her in this place. Feeling it as a pond saturating Luke in his peaceful state. She reached out to grab it, but she had no use for it.

"You feel it? Let it saturate you," directed Luke.

"It's not that easy. I have no place for it to go," argued Rey, frustrated.

"Become at peace and let it flow in and out of you at its own will. It wants to join with you," indicated Luke. "It wants to consume you. Let it."

Rey calmed herself again, just feeling the Force, dropping her inner walls, even the walls she did not realize she had up. It was easy to do with Luke here. She felt completely at ease with him now, not afraid, not anxious, not in a hurry, just there. And she found a bond between them she had only barely perceived before. It was a strong bond, and it was not merely a familial bond. It was a Force-bond created . . . when did he create it? Rey closed her eyes and thought back, letting the Force delve into those occluded memories

She saw him, younger and in an orange flight suit . . . like her doll. They were on a space station. He was holding her—she must have been very young. He put his hand on her forehead . . . and then all was black.

As Rey opened her eyes, Luke nodded at her. "Now tell me, why do you want to be a Jedi?"

Rey was taken aback by that question. Everyone wants me to be a Jedi. Wasn't that enough? "My mother wants me to bring Ben back."

"No, I didn't ask what your mother wanted. I want to know why you want it," urged Luke.

Rey thought about it. Do I really want this? What if I don't pursue this path? . . . Plagueis . . . he will win. I will be worse off than untrained, but is that enough for me to go through with this? "To stop Plagueis."

"Are you afraid?" asked Luke.

A Jedi is not supposed to fear, but I can't lie to him. I do fear Plagueis. I fear what he will do to me, what he will do to Ben, what this galaxy will become if he finally possesses the seed of Skywalker. Rey nodded.

Luke nodded in acceptance. "Good. Only the stupid don't fear Plagueis, but he can be overcome. He can be vanquished. Will you see it through, even if you fear?"

"I will. I will not stop until he is defeated or I am," declared Rey with vehemence.

"Are you sure? Once I start training you, there is no turning back. And it will be hard. You may be injured . . .You may suffer anguish . . . You may lose your sanity . . . All that you know may never be the same," cautioned Luke.

Rey thought it over, tried to imagine the worst before her, and replied, "I am sure. I will not fail you."

"You will," replied Luke. "You will, but it won't be the end." Luke took the bowls and stacked them next to the fire, the soup already drying in them. Then he instructed, "You asked me a question. I will answer it. You may call me Master Luke, but I hope one day you will call me Uncle Luke." Luke scooted over to his niece seated next to him on the clay and hugged her. "You see, my wife made me swear I'd treat you like my own daughter, the daughter we lost, and the son we lost—both to Ben."

"Uncle Luke, perhaps that's why I am here. I need a family, and so do you," mentioned Rey, holding onto him, too. "And maybe one day we can bring Ben back to a family that loves him. Maybe we can be a real family again: you, me, mother, and Ben . . . and granddad."

="//w��'��