Chapter 79 - Escape

Ben Solo pulled the stolen X-Wing fighter into a high climb, reaching for space. His astromech droid tweeted at him. "I know, I know. That X-Wing seems to have caught up with me. I can't shake him off my tail. Hold on back there! Breaking into evasive action."

As Ben broke right, the other X-Wing barrel rolled into attack position. Ben activated the repulsors and lifted the craft up a few meters before slamming on the brakes. The attacker flew right by him. Ben laughed and replied to Artoo, "Not bad, considering it's been years since I've flown one of these." Artoo beeped something back to him cheekily.

Artoo had pointed out that the attacker had pulled around in a lag displacement roll and was advanced head-on at Ben. Ben jinked left and pulled his craft into a flat scissors maneuver. His attacker pulled into a Split S and came in behind him, locking his guns on him.

Artoo beeped a few times. "He wants what frequency?" Artoo confirmed it. "That's an old Imperial frequency," objected Ben. "Yes, Artoo." Ben switched the frequency to the one indicated by Artoo and waited to be hailed.

"Ben Solo," the man in the other fighter greeted.

"If you're going to kill me, do it now. It's long overdue," stated Ben.

"I wouldn't have gone to all the trouble to orchestrate your escape to kill you," stated the pilot.

"Well, I'm not going back to the First Order, and I'm sure not going back to the Resistance," declared Ben.

"Of course not," chuckled the man.

"Who are you?"

"Insight never was one of your better skills, was it?" mentioned the man cynically.

Ben thought through the dilemma. "I didn't think there were any Jedi left in the Resistance. And the only one who can fly as well as you is Dameron. I know he is not Force-sensitive."

"You're using your intellect, not the Force, not your insight. That is why you fail, Ben," stated the man. "Besides, Dameron has nothing on me. I've only ever been beaten by one person in air combat, and that was your uncle."

Ben argued, "Stop with the games, Old Man. This hasn't been the best day ever."

"We have company coming. Follow me," indicated the man.

"Where?" asked Ben.

"We need to pick up your uncle," stated the man as he brought his craft back into the atmosphere.

"He ran off into the hills. He could be anywhere," stated Ben.

"Use the Force. Reach out and find him, Ben. He's not hiding from us," stated the man.

"I think I can feel him. He's at the top of that crest," mentioned Ben.

"Good," mentioned the man.

"I just lost you off my scope!" announced Ben in fear.

"I'm having Artoo take some precautions. We're masked from Resistance scanners for the time being," mentioned the man. "There. That looks good."

"What looks good?"

"That cave near your uncle. Let's bring them in slowly," directed the man with patience.

____________________________________

After landing the craft in the large cave, Ben hopped down from his craft, with Artoo following behind him to the other fighter. He walked back to the other craft to find the cockpit empty and the canopy still closed. Ben looked around, confused.

He saw his uncle standing at the opening of the cave. Ben thought he saw a shimmering of light in the brightness of the opening, but he was not sure. Ben shook his head and rubbed his eyes, thinking to himself, Today certainly was strange.

As Ben approached his uncle, he realized there was something there. His uncle was talking to someone. "Ben," greeted his uncle.

"Master Skywalker," spoke Ben. "Thank you for sparing my life."

"You deserve justice, Ben, but it is not my place to administer it. What I told Ackbar was true. If I killed you, I would become worse than you, worse than Vader, worse than Snoke," announced Luke calmly. "It's been 14 years, Ben, and not a day goes by I don't mourn Naluma. Not a day goes by I don't have to fight my anger and the desire to kill you. I am not your ally, and don't you ever make that mistake."

"Luke, follow the light," directed the shimmering figure. "Allow the Force to administer its own justice."

Ben turned to him. He had heard those same words so many times while he was under Snoke's control, so many times the light pulled to him, called to him. It was his weakness. It was that voice.

Ben moved closer to the figure and realized it glowed in blue. "Granddad?"

"Ben, you really need to work on insight. It is your failing," spoke Anakin. "Both of you, please follow the light. Don't give into your anger. Rey needs us."

"I was flying against Darth Vader and lived?"

"You were flying against Anakin Skywalker who allowed you to live, Ben. Remember that. Forget whatever praise you may have heard from the First Order. There is much room for improvement in everything: piloting, saber work, Force work, emotional control, listening skills," admonished Anakin.

"I listen," defended Ben.

"But not very well. You kept asking me to talk to you, but you always ignored what I told you, Ben. If you want to survive, I need you to listen and take action," spoke Ani. "Luke, are you ready for this?"

"Yes, Father. Like you, there is still good in him. Leia was always right," answered Luke. "But he still must pay for his crimes."

"The Force will take care of that. Let it proceed natur—"

"What is it?" asked Luke.

"I have to leave," spoke Ani.

Luke looked at him, his insight giving him information. "Go to her. She needs you. I'll take care of Ben."

Ani disappeared immediately, leaving Luke and Ben to stare each other down with Artoo in between them. "Well, I guess we're back to Master and Padawan again. Hop in your craft, and follow me."

"Where are we going?" asked Ben.

"No questions, but you'll recognize it when we arrive. Artoo, you're with me, Old Friend," stated Luke. Artoo beeped contentedly and followed after his old master.

nsitio3K