Chapter 12 - The Speeder

When they arrived back to the AT-AT, Ani said, "Grab the crate with the parts from the junk pile and bring it out here."

Rey obeyed and dragged the heavy crate out. Ani could have easily brought it with the Force, but he was purposefully having Rey do as much of the heavy work herself to build her strength. 

"Why do I need this junk?" Rey asked as she struggled with the heavy shipping crate.

"Open it. We're looking for the two repulsor lifts."

"The what?"

"The repulsor lifts. Take one part out at a time."

As she did, Ani identified each part. Then he had her go over the names again. Finally, he allowed her to take the two repulsor lifts and instructed how to put the speeder together.

It took almost two months to finish the speeder, requiring not only time to assemble the piece, but time to salvage from different wrecks as well

It took almost two months to finish the speeder, requiring not only time to assemble the piece, but time to salvage from different wrecks as well. The most important pieces Rey had to reclaim from the Ravager's landing craft bays at night, so that the other salvage crews would not harass her.

Ani was patient with her as she made mistakes or as parts that seemed to be fine needed to be repaired and reinstalled.

But today was the day. If Rey could not get the speeder to work, she was going to have to hitch a ride with a salvage crew to Niima Outpost and sell the few parts she had left for rations. The ration packets Ani had stolen for her were gone.

Rey climbed aboard the one-seater speeder. She primed the engine and flicked a few toggles before igniting the thrusters. The engines shuddered and then died. She tried the sequence again, holding her breath. And again. And again. And again. And still nothing. She kicked the speeder and banged on the top of it with her fists, yelling at it in frustration and dissolving into tears.

"Stop, Rey," Ani said. "Your anger is not going to solve this problem."

"It's not going to work, Granddad."

"It will. Just need to figure out where the connection is loose."

Rey hopped down off the speeder and raised the side of the engine compartment. "Trace the cables. Tighten every connection."

The scavenger did so and then tried the start-up sequence again. Nothing. 

"Check the hoses. Run your hands across each one, checking for any leaks."

She wiped her hands on her dirty clothes, wishing not for the first time for the luxury of a real bath, but knowing that would not be coming any time soon. She started with the hoses at the front of the compartment and worked her way to the rear thrusters.

"Here it is—got a nick in this hose." She grabbed the binding tape out of her bag and tightly wrapped the hose.

"We'll need to find a replacement hose eventually. That tape won't stand up to the heat that long," Ani said.