Chapter 6 - Mates

Dean's P.O.V

Imogen's my mate. That makes sense considering the recent affections I've been feeling for her. Gosh, doesn't she look beautiful.
We stand staring at each other for a moment longer.
'What do I do?' I mind link my wolf Olly.
'What do you want to do?' He replies.
'Kiss her'
'Do it'
'But what if she rejects me, she doesn't want a mate besides I don't want to force myself on her'
'You won't, one small kiss won't hurt'
I cautiously walk forward towards her, she watches my every move. Slowly I reach my hand up and cup her face, sparks move from my finger tips, traveling all throughtout my body. Imogen innocently stares into my eyes like she's trying to read my mind. I gently press my lips to hers, planting one kiss on her lips. I pull my face away, there's a small smile on her lips.
"That was unexpected" she says.
"Very" I reply. An awkward silence falls between us. A strong pull urges me to kiss her again. I lean in again, my hands sliding to her hips. Imogen's hands snake around my neck. My lips brush hers before she pulls her head away, her body still in my arms.
"What?" I question.
"I don't want you to mark me just yet" she says.
"Woah, no of course not" I reply.
"Okay good, also do you know about that stuff between your dad and mine"
"Of course"
Realisation sinks in, her dad's going to hate me.
"Oh" I say, my hands falling away from her sides.
"Oh no, no, I don't want that to make you go away"
"You don't?"
"Of course not"
"But I thought you said you didn't want a mate"
"I didn't but now that I've got one I've changed my mind, I'm just worried about my dad, cause he really doesn't like your dad but he puts up with him for the sake of my mum. Please don't let him scare you away"
"Never" I lean in to kiss her, her mouth responds this time. The urge to mark her and call her mine is strong. I pull away from her to prevent myself from making that mistake. Imogen looks sadly at me once I do so.
"Why'd you pull away?" She asks.
"I didn't want to accidentally mark you, I want to do right by you"
"Thank you" she says hugging me.
"So what are we gonna do?" I ask.
"For now, keep us a secret"
"It's going to be difficult but I'll try"
"Thank you" we kiss one last time before heading back to the party.

We arrive back at the party, "There you two are, I was wondering where you went, where's your cousin?" Luna Cora asks.
"He had to go do pack business or something but he's coming back" Imogen tells her mum and my Luna, Luna Kelsey.
"Have you meet your wolf yet?" Her mother asks.
"Yeah, her names Skylar" she replies.
"What about your mate?" Luna Kelsey pushes.
"Nope, fortunately not" she replies.
My heart breaks at the sound of her voice denying my existence.
"Imogen stop being so bitter" her mother angrily says,
"You'll find your mate and you will want him and he'll want you and you will be happy"
"And your one to talk"
Luna Cora's mouth drops open, shocked that her daughter would attack her using her rough history with her mate. Luna Cora says nothing, she stares at her daughter before turning away. Luna Kelsey looks between us and the growing gap before she turns to follow her best friend.
"What was that all about?" I ask.
"I'm sick of them caring about whether or not I find a mate, it's none of their business" she says.
"You look like you really hurt her"
"I don't care" she replies, a quiver in her voice. I wrap my arms around her trying to comfort her.
"This is supposed to be the happiest day of my life, why am I crying?" She says angrily.
"Shh, I'm here, it's okay" I coo. We pull away when her father appears.
"What did you say to your mother?!" He angrily and quietly demands.
"Nothing!" Cora replies matching his anger.
"How could you say something like that to her, I hope you find your mate tonight so you can stop with all this bullshit and learn to except your fate, and if we're lucky your mate will whip you into shape"
"He can try" her Father storms away.
"Are you going to tell him about me?" I ask.
"Not just yet" she replies, every word she says is like a dagger in me.
"If you don't tell someone soon, what's going to happen when you go into heat? If you're not mated then it will hurt a lot" I reply.
"How long do I have?"
"A month minimum" she exhales deeply.
"Well then I have a month to figure out how to tell my dad without him killing you"
"Lovely"
"I think I might tell my brother" she's says.
"Okay, but he doesn't like me either"
"He just doesn't like you being an un-mated male that's friends with his mate"
"Okay"
"I mind linked him, he's going to meet us behind the pack house"
"Okay let's go"

+++

"Why have you called me here?" Adrian asks.
"I found my mate" Imogen tells him.
"Who?" He asks. Imogen bites her lip nervously.
"Dean" she says. Adrian looks shocked, he then looks from Imogen to myself and then back to Imogen.
"Don't tell anyone please" she begs. Adrian looks at me, an empathising look in his eyes.
"Why not?" He asks.
"Because I don't want dad to kill him"
"Why would he do that?"
"You know how much he hates Jace which is Dean's dad obviously"
"Okay, I'll keep your secret but if your safety is jeopardised I'm telling people"
"I'll never hurt her" I chime in.
"I'm sure you won't but Imogen on the other hand needs to stop trying to hide the fact she has a mate" Adrian says.
"What?" She asks.
"Look at him, your killing him"
"Adri-" I begin.
"Dean, don't deny it, I can see it in your eyes, and being a mated man myself I empathise with you. Treat her well Dean"
"I will I promise" I say as I pull her close to my side.