59 :)

I realise this is very short but i realised that I had to upload for you all. Just a filler to leave you all with a small dose of Ash. Enjoy :) ~ PaperScaars <3 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The rain lashed down on the windscreen as I sat in the car staring at the bright lights of the hospital. Various ambulances and emergency vehicles rushed towards the entrance of the hospital, and then quickly opened the doors and took patients into the warm building. I unlocked my phone and noticed unread text messages from Brook and Ash; I wasn’t in the mood to answer their messages.

I usually spent an hour staring at the hospital before deciding that I had to go and visit Ash. I never wanted to visit Ash anymore, the thought of it made me feel sick. Most days the nurses had him out of his bed trying to get him to walk. He usually stumbled down the corridor with a nurse on either side of him, practically holding all his body weight as his legs tried to find themselves. Ash was determined to walk again and his body couldn’t stand all the effort he was putting into trying to walk. Usually I would walk into the room to see Ash vomiting all over himself or the bed sheets, this sent me to the bathroom to vomit into the toilets. We argued a lot of the time, normally because I would tell Ash he couldn’t get what he wanted so quickly, but Ash disagreed. I found myself leaving his room only an hour after I walked into the hospital with tears running down my cheeks and mascara smudged across my face.

Not only was Ash on my back but Brook was on my case a lot of the time. Her and Ash would have secret conversations when I’d left and the next day Brook would jump on me the minute I entered the hospital. Brook and Sam were fighting more than usual as tensions between everyone were high. Sam would visit the hospital at least once a week when Brook wasn’t visiting the Ash, even when he did visit he would normally argue with Ash and end up leaving.

I found that I spent a lot of time thinking about the future, about my future. I wondered if mine and Ashs’ relationship was worth carrying on, whether he deserved someone better. Ash tried to do school work from his hospital bed as he desperately wanted to go to university when he managed to walk without any support. My mind was telling me that Ash would forget me at university and find someone else who was better; I was contemplating breaking up with him so he could have the opportunity to find someone else.  

“Nate, how do you have a long distance relationship?” I asked one lunchtime when we were sat waiting for Sam. Nate laughed under his breath and then continued to twirl his food around on the plate.

“You don’t. That relationship never lasts Rhi” Nate replied looking me in the eyes. I played with the top of my water bottle wishing Nate had said something else, something that would encourage me my relationship could continue when Ash went to university.

“It must work with all the technology now; I mean Skype and everything else. Surely if you love the person you’ll try your hardest to keep the relationship alive” Nate looked at me with a smirk on his lips as I rambled about how long distance relationships could work. After I had finished my mini lecture he shook his head and ruffled my hair with his hand.

“No kiddo, they just don’t work” The emotion on his face was unreadable as he finished his lunch and then patted me on the shoulder before leaving the lunch room.

I pushed open the car door and ran towards the hospital to avoid becoming soaked by the rain. The corridors were warm and inviting as I ran up the stairs towards the floor Ash’s room was on. The door of Ash’s room came into view and I took a deep breath before looking through the window. Ash lay on his bed reading a book, probably something I’d told him to read. I smiled at how content he looked and then tapped on the window. He looked up and his face lit at the appearance of me at his window. I pushed open the door to his room and walked towards his bed dropping my bag and things on a chair near the door.

“Hello stranger” He smiled as I kissed him on the forehead and sat on the edge of his bed. The expression on his face didn’t seem as frustrated as he’d looked when I had visited the other times. I took his hand in mine and he rubbed circles into the back of my hand with his thumb.

“I’m sorry I haven’t visited for a while, just… I don’t really have an excuse…” I stuttered as I felt tears gather in my eyes. Ash’s face turned to a comforting and sad expression as he saw the signs that I was going to start crying.

“Oh it’s okay, it’s fine. I’m just glad you’re here” Ash wiped a stray tear that had fallen down my cheek with his thumb and smiled at me before gesturing for me to lay on his chest.

“I don’t want to hurt you Ash” I spoke looking at the few wires that lead from his body to a machine. He shook his head and stroked my hair.

“I’m more worried about you than I am about me Rhi; you look awful. Please just lay down and just sleep for me” Ash put his hands behind my back and pulled me closer. I gently laid on his chest and curled into his warmth; I had greatly missed feeling his warmth against me. His hand slowly rubbed circles into my back as I inhaled the familiar smell of Ash and felt my body relax in his arms. He picked up the book again and began reading where he had left off.

“I really like that book Ash” I whispered in between a yawn that swept through my body. Ash chuckled and stroked my hair softly.

“Just sleep Rhi; I’ll be here when you wake up” My eyes felt heavy as my breathing deepened and I found that to be the best sleep I’d had in weeks.