My brothers best...Part 9

Sam carried me up the stairs, moaning about me going to the party. I don't know what he was worried about; Ash was not going to kill me.

Eventually Sam decided to come to the party as he wanted to see his friends. Brook was now stood watching me while I chose what to wear. I chose some black skinny jeans, white strappy top and a black jean waistcoat. I seriously wanted to wear my converse so started complaining to Brook.

"I can't wear my converse with this hideous thing on" I grumbled pointing to my foot.

"The doctor gave us a stretchy bandage; he said you should wear it in bed. He mentioned that you could wear it instead of your splint, if your ankle becomes sore with that thing on. " I smiled then Brook turned around and fled through the door in search of the bandage. The aroma coming from my cup of coffee was amazing; I hesitated then picked it up and took thoughtful sips. My body was tired after today but I had to get my energy back for the party.

"I got it!" Brook screeched as she ran through the door, nearly falling over my cat in the process. My cat was called Snowy, I loved snow and I loved my cat, so I called her snowy. She purred as Brook knelt down and quickly stroked her. Ash stumbled in after her, picked up Snowy and sat on the end of my bed stroking her.

"Unluckily he comes with the bandage" Brook rolled her eyes at Ash them motioned for me to lie on the bed. I lowered my body onto the bed gently and lay my ankle down carefully. Brook was fumbling with the packaging around the bandage, looking confused on how to open it. I told her there were some scissors in my draw; she grabbed them then gave me a suspicious look. I reassured her I only use them for wrapping presents etc, she breathed a sigh of relief, tore the package open then began to read the instructions carefully.

"Now, how do we apply this? Let me see..." Ash laughed at Brook staring intently at the instructions.  A smile crept on to my lips, soon me and Ash were laughing while Brook was telling us it wasn't funny.

"Let me do it, I use these when I have sport injuries and when applying first aid at the shelter" Ash laughs while prying the bandage from Brooks hand. Brooks looks defeated, walks over to my chair and slouches in it. I watch Ash intently as he rips the bandage package open, unfolds it and starts to fold it into the right size for my ankle. I feel his warm hands glide over my ankle as he places it gently onto my ankle. I suddenly feel different, attracted to Ash.

"I'm going to grab a coke, can I get you anything?" Brook breaks the tension in the room, Ash says he wouldn't mind a sprite and I say just another coffee. I know...a lot of coffee! I'm going to be on some caffeine high tonight. I won't need alcohol to become weird...

Me and Ash smile at each other while he fixes the bandage on my ankle. His hands touch my cold skin as I am still feeling cold from this afternoon...even though I had a shower. Carefully, he stands up off the bed to look for a pin. I watch him looking in my bits and bobs draw, he manages to find one and brings it back to the bed.

"I remember when we were little and I fell off the swing. You insisted on acting doctor, bandaging my bruises and looking after me. Everyone else was playing football but you sat with me, read my

stories about princes, princesses and castles to me. I guess things have changed. You're not innocent Ash anymore. You're a whole different story" Ash looks at me confused, pinning the bandage in place.

"What do you mean?" I can hear confusion in his voice; Ash knows what I mean though.

"Brook needs you. She needs someone to comfort her when she's had a bad day, someone that can be there for her at school. She needs a brother" Ash's eyes hold hurt as he stands up to leave the room.

"What are you saying? That I'm not good enough!... I am there for my sister, I am there for her when she needs me!" Ash shouts at me. I see his hands are balled into fists and drop the subject. I don't want to get into a fight with Ash.

"Could you pass me that necklace? The one in my wardrobe, the gold and black one" Ash stalks over to my wardrobe, picks the box up carefully and walks back over to me. I stare at the necklace inside, it was my grandmas before she...passed away. It was hard last year when my grandma wasn't here, Ash would help me out at school when I was going through a rough time. One year changes everything...

"I'm sorry about  me shouting, I guess I didn't realise that Brook never sees me. I'm out most of the time. I guess I just don't want to be at home" Ash comments, picking up the necklace and gesturing for me to turn around.

"Rough time at home?" I ask, holding my hair up so Ash can clip the necklace around my neck.

"Parents are arguing...Your lucky" He chuckles, It's a long story about my parents...they work far away. Sometimes they come home and visit. When they do we have hardly anything to talk about. Me and Sam look after some parts of their business while there away.

I let my hair down, Ash sits next to me on the bed. We look into each other's eyes. I can feel the tension between us in the room. I've never had this feeling before. This feeling of love.

He raises his arm and wipes away a stray piece of hair on my face. His warm hands cause a shock to radiate through my body. He's going to kiss me...His face moves towards mine and I can feel his body heat. Were just inches apart, his lips are about to touch mine...

"I made a coffee but I got distracted so it might be cold" Brooks voice echoes through the room. Ash jumps away from me, falls off my bed and scurries out of my room. Brook is stood still, her face in utter shock.

"Did I just see what I thought I saw?" Brook watches my face as I answer her.

"Yes...Yes you did" I nearly kissed Ash. Ash ...the player.