Part 56.... Life and Death.

You know that moment when you feel like the world has stopped? Like nothing else matters to you? The moment when you find yourself running somewhere far to find the one you love, the one you cherish. The moment when you stop and realise it could be too late. I’ve had those moments more than once in my life, when Sam fell down the stairs and when me and Ash had an argument. Though they didn’t prepare me for what was to come that day, they didn’t prepare me for the kind of news I was going to hear.

I stood and watched the cardboard boxes go up into flames, I threw random papers into the hot mess and Brook came to stand by me. She noticed a tear had leaked from my eye and wiped it away with a tissue, she took my hand in a friend way and looked at me.

“I’m sorry, they shouldn’t do this to you” Brook said staring at the fiery heap near us. She was right, they had no right to do it to us, but they did.

“They had me and Sam too young, now that we’re old and legal they think they can just pack up and leave. To be honest Brook, I’m glad they’re gone, I don’t want them back” I said picking up my bag and walking back to the car. Brook stared at the burning boxes and looked at me in a weird way.

“You’re not going to leave them like this, are you?!” Brook sounded surprised and ran after me. I climbed in the car and started the engine.

“My boyfriend and your brother need us, it’s an emergency” I laughed starting the engine. The fire was starting to burn out anyway so it would burn out if it started to rain. Just on the cue the rain started and the fire was put out, Brook turned to me laughing then we continued the long journey.

“Do you love my brother Rhi?” Brook asked munching on a chocolate bar whilst also swigging some blue drink. I stared at her with raised eyebrows then put my eyes back on the road ahead. Course I loved Ash, she of all people should have known.

“Yeah, I love your brother so much…. Do you love mine?” I asked back taking the drink from her and nearly finishing it. She cried out and I handed it back with the meagre drops it had in the bottom of the bottle.

“Course I love Sam, if I lost him… I don’t know what I’d do…” Brook mumbled looking in her bag; she pulled out another drink and started to gulp it down. Brook always did that to stop herself from crying. I quietly laughed to myself before noticing the bright hospital sign.

“Okay, where is he?” I asked climbing out of the car in the car park. Brook looked at her phone and pointed towards the hospital, I made a ‘duh’ face before walking towards the hospital holding her hand for support.

It felt like we walked for hours down long white corridors and as we got closer to the ER the blood drops started to come into view. I heard the cries and screams coming from the rooms, I watched a woman who was sobbing get dragged out of a room and down a corridor. I saw a husband hunched in a chair holding two wedding rings, I saw a teenage boy shouting things about ‘the voices’. I saw it all, I heard it all.

Just as I felt like I was about to collapse Sam’s face came into view. I started to sprint down the corridor and hurled myself into his arms.

“It’ll be okay Rhi, it’ll be okay” He whispered stroking my hair as my tears stained his grey t-shirt.

“I’m so scared Sam” I mumbled into his t-shirt not looking up. He finally pulled away from me and sat me down on a chair.

“The doctors are doing all they can for him” Sam said looking into my eyes, I nodded and then felt more tears fall down my face. Sam mumbled something and then took the tissue that I was still clutching.

“He’s a fighter Rhi, like his girlfriend” Sam smiled wiping the tears from my face; I gulped and hiccupped before wiping my nose and taking his hand he was offering me.

Brook soon appeared and the expression on her face definitely wasn’t full of happiness. I stood up to greet her and ask her how he was. She sat on a chair and I knelt down to look at her.

“How is he? Can I see him?” I asked trying to read the expression on her face. She shook her head and looked like she was about to puke. I heard the door to Ashs room open and a nurse walked out carrying a clipboard. Her shoes clicked along the corridor as she walked towards us. She stopped and looked at her clipboard before looking at us.

“Is one of you Rhi?” She asked looking between me and Brook; I smiled and stood up to stand next to her.

“That’ll be me” I smiled trying to get a glimpse at what was on her clipboard. Maybe it held information about what Ashs condition was like.

“He’s asking for you” She started to lead me back to the room and I followed but soon I heard footsteps running behind me. I turned to see Brook looking at me with tear filled eyes; Sam stood behind her and took her in his arms.

“Rhi, just be careful going in there” Brook stuttered taking my hand. I smiled at her and squeezed her hand before starting to walk towards the room.

“Rhi, WAIT” She shouted, I stopped and waited for her to catch up to me.

 “The doctors have stabilized him for the time being but he’s still in a life threatening condition” Brook said looking at me.

“Well, he’ll make it through, and he’ll be fine” I assured her, and then I started to walk off again.

“There’s more” I turned round to listen to Brook. “Even if he does make it through, there’s a chance he could lose his legs…. He could become paralysed”

........................

OooOOOH.

Okay. Over a quarter of a million reads on this story, wow, i love you guys.

Anyway, vote, comment and become a fan.

I shall write a longer thankyou some other time but right now i am very tired, Night.

xJustthebeginningx <3