Chapter 17 - Deal with the Devil

"Wait a minute. Abhi, son, what exactly are you saying?"

"Dad, why is it so difficult to understand?"

"Maybe because it is ridiculous! Why would you two want to lie to the press and media about your marriage being a love match? I mean, I would be delighted if it was, but I know as do you that it is an arranged marriage. Now you want to introduce Siya as your girlfriend and announce your engagement to her. I don't mind that, but we'll have to come up with a back story and be consistent with it. You, me, Siya and Divya. It just seems like a lot of work as compared to just sharing the truth. Why are you complicating it?"

"I don't want our marriage to look like a business deal. I might not be in love with Siya but I do love her, she is my closest friend and I'd like for everyone to know how special she is to me. The back story is not so complicated, and its quite close to the true story. As I see it, it is less complicated to have people believe we are in love than have them believe we are two utter professionals getting into a love-less marriage."

Siya sat listening to Abhi and Divakar Kaka, as they argued back and forth about the whole 'how-to-announce-the-engagement' plan. The three of them were sitting in Divakar kaka's study after getting back home from work. Divakar kaka had suggested they announce the engagement to the press and media tomorrow.

She and Abhi were to be engaged next Sunday. Though it was all a little rushed, with only two weeks for the engagement, both of them didn't see the need to drag out the courtship, since they had know one another all their lives.

Siya for one, didn't think the engagement was going to change much between them. They already lived together, spent almost the entire day with each other, argued like an old married couple. What more was there?

As she looked at Abhi, wearing a button-down his sleeves rolled, his hair a curly mess after running his hands through it multiple times, Siya knew it was a lie.

A lot had already changed since she had agreed to be his girlfriend in the past week. He treated her a little different from usual. He was more attentive, more touchy and definitely more flirty. She had seen him flirt with other girls and had no idea he could turn on his charm on her so well. He had effortlessly transitioned from a platonic friend to a engaging boyfriend. She wondered when she'd get used to all his attention and his proximity.

He did little things that made her heart beat faster. She got a kiss on the cheek during breakfast, a hug before they left for their respective cabins at office and lots of hand-on-the-waist or hand-on-the-small-of-her-back action from him. He had also gotten into a habit of giving her flowers everyday, with a beautiful quote. The note on daisies he gave her today said 'Everybody needs somebody to make them look forward to tomorrow'.

Their waltz classes were going really well. Although she swatted Abhi every time he broke the routine to pull her close against him and casually sway, her heart always skipped a beat.

And then there was yesterday. Just thinking about yesterday's movie night made her blush.

###
Abhi, Siya, Divya and Natasha were having a movie night in Abhi's game room. Divya, Abhi and Siya had made friday night a regular 'Movie Night'. They took turn choosing movies, and since Natasha was the 'guest of honour', so as to say, she was given the choice of movie. Of course she chose 'The Notebook'. After grumbling about it being a woman's world, Abhi walked to the game room.