PROLOGUE

I was standing at one corner of the bedroom looking at a terrified person who was sitting on the other corner across mine. Her arms were tightly hugging her knees as her chin was on top of them. She was crying, and I couldn't help my own tears from falling when I saw how much she was trembling. Not from the cold breeze of the night, but from the fear she wished she could wash away.

It was too much for me to take, so I slowly walked my way towards her. I made sure to be really careful not to scare her even more.  When I reached half way from her position, I went down on one knee to look at her goddess-like face even closer.

"Rhian..." I whispered.

Yet there wasn't any response from her. But I had to try again because I couldn't bear seeing my bestfriend in this state. Kung pwede ko lang bawiin ang lahat nang nagawa ko, I would do it in a heartbeat.

"Yoyon ko. Look at me, please." I softly pleaded with a tone that I only use with her.

I waited. I let her take her time, because I knew I was at fault. Tears were still flowing from her eyes even though I knew she was trying so hard to stop them. She was trying to be strong. Not for me, but for herself. And that was what breaks me most.

Her shaking continued, my presence obviously making her uncomfortable. Gusto kong sabihin sa kanya na nandito lang ako, pero alam ko kasing hindi un makakatulong. After several years of being her shield, it was like I suddenly became the sword that would stab her deep.

The worst part was... I didn't cause a new cut on her; instead, I opened an old wound. A wound that we both worked so hard to heal.

Nang subukan kong mas lumapit sa kanya, napaiyak naman ako lalo nang mas higpitan niya ang kapit niya sa kanyang mga tuhod.

"Baby, please." I broke down as she still didn't look up.

I never showed any weakness or vulnerability in front of other people. But with my bestfriend... it just comes out naturally. She would always be the only one who could break my concrete walls without even doing anything.

"I'm sorry. Rhian, please. Patawarin mo 'ko. Maling-mali ako dun. I'm sorry. Hindi ko sinasadya. Baby... just look at me, please." I begged once again, not caring at all if she could see me this fragile.

But suddenly, parang gusto kong pagsisihan na pinilit ko pa siyang tignan ako. Because when she did... I saw the fire in her eyes she once had. The darkness. The nightmare.

She was scared of me.

"D-don't." She softly whispered, nang subukan kong lumapit pa sa kanya.

I didn't know it was possible, but my heart just shattered into smaller pieces... hearing the voice I once promised myself that I'd do everything to make sure I'd never have to hear again.

Out of all the people that I was trying to protect her from, why didn't I realize that I also needed to protect her from myself?

And in that moment... I knew.

I knew that I just hurt the person I love most.