HER STRUGGLE

CHAPTER 18

Rhian's POV

Gale and I went to the place where Glaiza usually lets out all her fear and anger. Where she willingly surrender herself to destruction. Where she blocks the world and put darkness in her hands.

I didn't know why it was the first thing that came up inside my head when Gale asked if I wanted to talk. We could've just talked in our unit, but there was a part of me that felt chained and I needed to be released.

The place was pretty much empty when we arrived, since the fights are normally held at night. It sent shivers down my spine just picturing the number of bodies that laid unconscious on the ground, and the amount of blood that stained it.

"Anong lugar 'to, Ate Rhian? Why are we here?" Gale asked as we sat comfortably on the sidewalk.

I stayed silent for a few seconds, trying to relax my heartbeat and thoughts.

"Dito nakikipaglaban ang Ate mo dati." I almost whispered as my lips were trembling a bit.

"Ate Rhian..." She softly called.

"It's fine, Gale. Okay lang ako." I assured as I lowered my head, also needing to convince myself.

When we were talking in our condo this morning, I knew she was being too careful of what words to blurt out. I was honestly grateful that she really took care of me since last night. Pinipilit ko naman na pakalmahin ang sarili ko pero kahit nakakaya ng katawan ko, hindi sumasabay ang isip ko.

"Why are we here?" The woman beside me, asked.

"I don't really know. I guess I just... I want to completely understand." I cautiously stated.

"Understand what?"

"Why I feel this way." I continued, before releasing a heavy sigh.

Gale stayed silent but it was like she wanted to tell me again that nothing was wrong with it. She let me talk because she knew I had to let it all out. But when I didn't proceed after a whole minute, she carefully threw a question.

"Are you scared of Ate? O naaalala mo lang talaga ung nangyari sayo dati?"

I found out this morning that Gale already knew about my past because her sister had told her. It was fine since I knew I could trust them both.

"The scene inside my head feels like a nightmare, Gale. Pakiramdam ko umuulit ung dati. But the worse part is...it always ends up showing G-Glaiza." I struggled a bit to pronounce my bestfriend's name, making my distress evident.

"And you start panicking because you see her?" She asked.

"No. Because I knew it wasn't real." I cleared.

Her eyebrows met, obviously not fully getting my reason.

"Tingin mo ba, hindi un mas nakakatakot? You know it isn't real, yet it feels real. Like even though you don't want to believe that it is, may part sayong iniisip na baka nga kaya ka niyang saktan." I explained.

"Ate will never do that, Ate Rhian. I can assure you that."

"Un na nga, Gale. Alam kong hindi niya gagawin. Pero ano un... I'm the only exemption? Na ako lang ung hindi niya kayang saktan? Pero ung ibang tao, kaya niya? That doesn't make sense." I proclaimed with frustration.

"Ate Rhian, you know who and what she is. Ikaw ang nakakaalam kung ano-ano ang mga pinagdaanan niya. She never meant to hurt anyone." Gale defended.