TRADITION

CHAPTER 7

*AFTER TWO WEEKS*

I've memorized my body clock, so I knew it was still too early for me to be awaken at this time. Especially on a weekend. But I felt a hand shaking my shoulder.

"Best, wake up." Rhian whispered.

I just made a soft moan as an answer and settled my face deeper on my pillow. Then I suddenly felt half of my bestfriend's body on my back. That has always been one of her ways to wake me up.

"Uyy, best. Wake up kasi. Aalis tayo." She stated as she was playfully biting my shoulder.

"Saan tayo pupunta? Anong oras na ba?" I murmured, still not moving from my position.

"Quarter to 4."

"What?! Best, ang aga-aga pa! Mamaya na. Wala naman tayong pasok." Reklamo ko sa kanya.

"Eeehh. Come on, wake up na. Sa biyahe ka nalang matulog. I'll drive, and hindi ka pwedeng magreklamo this time." She firmly ordered.

I was forced to get up when she pulled me. Even with my still sleepy self, I noticed that there was a small travel bag on the floor. Halata namang punong-puno na ito ng laman. I was about to ask Rhian what the bag was for, but then she suddenly kissed my cheek and spoke.

"Happy birthday, best. Sorry I had to wake you up early. Babawi nalang ako sa weekend trip natin na 'to." Lambing nito sakin.

Wait, weekend trip? Bakit hindi ko 'to alam? Minsan kung ano-anong kalokohan rin ang naiisip nitong bababeng 'to eh.

"Haynaku, Rhian Denise. Kung hindi lang talaga kita bestfriend. Saan ba kasi tayo pupunta?" I asked while rubbing my eye with the back of my hand.

"Somewhere. Basta. Go freshen up na. Para makaalis narin tayo kagad. Everything's all set, don't worry. I'll just prepare your coffee. Love you." She kissed my cheek once again and handed me my clothes, before immediately heading to the kitchen.

...

Kahit nasa biyahe na kami ay hindi parin sinasabi sa akin ni Rhian kung saan kami pupunta. It was still dark, and even though I was still a bit sleepy... I tried to stay awake because I didn't want her to drive without having someone to talk to.

"Best, sige na. Matulog ka na ulit. I'll be fine." She said, like it was as if she could read my mind.

"Ehh. Ayoko nga."

"Wag nang makulit. Antok na antok ka pa kaya oh. Sige na kasi. Gigisingin nalang kita kapag di ko na kaya." She sweetly offered.

"Sure ka? As in? Hundred percent? Walang halong biro? Promise? Sw--"

"GLAIZA!" Saway niya sakin, and then we both laughed.

Even with a bit of uncertainty, my body quickly surrendered to a peaceful sleep when I closed my eyes.

Hindi ko alam kung gaano ako katagal nakatulog pero nang gisingin na ako ng bestfriend ko, maliwanag na. I also realized that the passenger seat was adjusted and Rhian's jacket was draped on my upper body.