YES OR NO

CHAPTER 24

"Pwede ba kitang ligawan?"

Rhian's eyes began to be filled with tears, and I didn't exactly know how to take that. There were mixture of emotions. For the first time in my life, I wasn't able to understand what she was feeling.

"Baby, okay ka lang? Did I say something wrong?" I safely asked as I wiped the strains on her cheeks.

She just looked down and continued crying silently. It broke me seeing her in distress, so I hugged her, hoping it would comfort her in some way. Yet deep down, there was also fear building up inside of me because her initial reaction wasn't what I expected.

I let her release her emotions for a while. My hands soothed her back with slow strokes until I could feel her body began to weigh heavier, signalling her need for support.

"Pagod ka na ba? Uwi na tayo?" I softly asked.

I pulled back when I felt her nod. My thumb brushed her remaining tears before kissing her forehead. Then my hand traveled to hers to intertwine our fingers. Rhian's immediate response to the touch was something that I could take as a sign that we were still good.

While we were on our way back to our unit, sitting at the back seat of a cab, we didn't let go of each other's hand. My bestfriend's head was leaning on my shoulder, and I just let her rest her eyes during the ride.

I spent the steady moment staring at her while I had a rollercoaster ride of thoughts inside my head.

Wasn't she ready for a serious commitment yet? Should I have waited a bit longer? Should I have taken things slower? What exactly did she want and need me to do? Was I not enough?

No one said a word until we reached our unit. Rhian wasn't even meeting my orbs. As I stare at her longer, her expression was slowly showing more of sadness. I didn't know why. But I couldn't help but blame myself.

When she was about to head to the bathroom to get change, I stopped her by locking her in my arms. It saddened me a bit that she took longer than usual to reciprocate the hug.

"Okay lang ba tayo?" I carefully asked as I was trying not to let my tears flow.

Rhian took a deep breath before pulling back from our embrace.

"Nakadepende yan sayo." She weakly replied.

"What do you mean, baby?" I didn't quite understand what she meant.

Then she didn't answer, and instead, continued her way to the bathroom. Yet I stopped her again by stepping in front of her.

"Wait. Galit ka ba?" My eyes were already apologizing.

She shook her head while looking straight into my eyes before she answered.

"No."

"Then what?" The vulnerability was already heard on my tone.

"Nothing." Rhian plainly said.

"Baby..." I softly called as my own tears started to form.

Her hand went to hold my cheek before lightly kissing me on the lips. To me, it was a sign that she wasn't really mad. So I just let her go, even though I was still confused with what she was feeling.