PROCESS

CHAPTER 17

The next morning, I woke up on the couch to a woman screaming in horror. When I opened my eyes and looked around, I realized that it came from our bedroom. Hindi ako natulog sa tabi ni Rhian kagabi dahil baka kung ano na namang mangyari kapag nagising siyang kasama ako sa iisang kwarto. Though I left the door open, and positioned the couch facing it. So that I could still see my bestfriend from the outside.

When I realized that it was Rhian's voice, I hastily ran to check on her. But I only made the situation worse because when she saw me standing at the door, she stood up from the bed and stepped away from me. Her eyes filled with tears and an evident terror. Then I could only start the day with another heartbreak seeing how terrified she was of me.

"Rhian..." I breathed as I tried to control my emotions.

"Don't, p-please." Pakiusap niya kasabay ng pagpikit ng kanyang mga mata.

She was already standing at one corner of the bedroom, shaking uncontrollably.

"Yoyon ko, ako lang 'to. You don't have to be scared, baby. I'm not gonna hurt you." I softly calmed her down, but it didn't help at all.

She screamed once again in discomfort, my presence obviously unwanted in the area. I no longer bothered to stop my tears and just continued pleading to her through my eyes.

Before I could utter another word, Gale came rushing in the bedroom. My sister didn't speak and just went straight to where Rhian was.

"Shh. It's okay, Ate Rhian. Nandito ako. You're safe." She whispered as her hand immediately traveled to my bestfriend's nape.

Gale did what I asked her to do last night without having to instruct her again.

The most heart-wrenching part was... I saw how Rhian was fighting her encounter. She was trying to stop the nightmare on her own, but she was having such a hard time. And I couldn't do anything because I knew I caused it.

"Ate Rhian, stay with me. Breathe." The younger woman asked.

My bestfriend landed her forehead on Gale's shoulders as she tightly closed her eyes and tried to mimic the normal breathing.

"Ang init niya." Gale mouthed when she faced me.

That made me more worried instantly. I wanted to run to Rhian and hug her tightly, but that would only break us both. So I got anchored to where I was and just let out my cries.

We let a few minutes pass as we waited for Rhian's trembling to settle down.

"You're burning up, Ate Rhian. Kailangan mong uminom ng gamot. But you have to eat first." Gale carefully suggested.

My sister faced me again, signaling for me to head to the kitchen and cook breakfast for Rhian, which I did immediately.

Though I could barely feel myself because of everything that happened since last night, I tried to just be the person my bestfriend needed. Even if I wanted to do all the things that were only permitted for me to do so. I had to step back and give way to other people. For now.

I prepared most of Rhian's favorite food for breakfast. Like what I decided on last night... I'd do everything to help her recover. Again. And I would never care how long it'll take for her to heal.

I just need her. I need my Rhian back.