SERENITY (F)

CHAPTER 4

I didn't know how long we were in the same spot, but not once did Rhian loosen her hug around my shoulders. Yet I was glad that her trembling died down as I continued fondling her back and assuring her that I was there. After a while, Tita Clara was able to convince her to head to her room, so she could rest.

Inalalayan ko si Rhian paakyat dahil halatang nanlalambot pa ito. Umupo ako sa gilid ng kama niya nang humiga siya, because she didn't let go of my arm. I didn't mind as well, since I was still worried about her. A minute or two passed, I kept my stare on her while she had her eyes shut.

"Will she be alright, Tita?" I softly asked Rhian's mom.

The older woman didn't answer as I saw that she was trying to stop herself from crying. It was honestly shocking for me, because I didn't know that a cheerful woman like her, could look as devastated as she was now. It took several seconds but she finally took a deep breath, obviously preparing to answer.

"I don't know, hija. I honestly thought she was doing a lot better. It was more than a year since the last time this happened. Hindi ko alam na magiging ganito parin ang epekto sa kanya." She explained, yet it formulated even more questions inside my head.

Maybe she noticed my struggle to understand the situation, so she spoke once again.

"Like I said, hija... it's not my story to tell. Gusto kong siya ang magkwento sayo. So please be patient with her until she's ready."

I only nodded to let her know that I understood. We just let the time pass, until I felt Rhian's grip around my hand loosen, signalling that she finally fell asleep. Ilang saglit ko pa siyang tinitigan bago kami tuluyang lumabas ng kwarto niya.

Nagpaalam na ako kay Tita Clara na uuwi na dahil alam kong dadating na sila Mama maya-maya.

"Glaiza, thank you for everything. Pasensya na at naabala ka pa namin."

"Wala pong problema, Tita Clara. Hindi niyo ako naabala. I'm glad that I got to help." I assured her.

Bago ako tuluyang umalis, nagdalawang-isip pa akong itanong sa kanya ang pinaplano ko bukas. But then I knew I had to.

"Uhmm... Tita Clara, what time does Rhian usually wake up?" I politely asked.

"Why?" Nakakunot-noo niyang tanong, na halatang nagtataka kung bakit bigla ko itong natanong.

"I-I'm not sure how she is after times l-like this. She asked me not to leave, kaya gusto ko po s-sana nandito ako bago siya magising bukas. B-baka lang po kasi... ano..."

"I get it, hija." She nodded with a genuine smile.

"Kung okay lang po sa inyo. I don't mean to cross a line or anything. Nag-aalala lang po kasi ako kay Rhian. Ayoko po na bi--"

I wasn't able to continue what I was about to say because she suddenly wrapped her arms around me. The day seemed unbelievable getting a hug from two people who were still basically strangers to me. But surprisingly, the feeling was really... comforting.

"Thank you for worrying about my daughter, Glaiza. This means a lot to me." She said after the hug, and it was my turn to smile.

"She normally wakes up at around 8. Walang problema kung gaano mo kaaga gustong pumunta dito." She added.