Chapter 22

Rie's P.O.V

I laid Ever on her bed gently, being carefull not to wake her. She hugged my jacket and stirred ever so slightly. I pulled a blanket up to her shoulders and stroked her hair. I held her and tightly and smiled down at her. Damien walked in and sat at the foot of the bed. He stared at Ever worriedly then shifted his attention to her hand in mine. The way her arm was lying, her feather mark was showing. Damien stared at it, confused.

"Feather mark. It means she has a guardian angel, which is me. It's a way of marking her as protected." I shifted uneasily. Damien's expression hardened then relaxed.

"Okay, I'll admit I've got jealousy problems and I'm a little over protective of Ever but I have every right to be, don't I?" Damien sighed, "Thank you, for protection Ever in ways i can't. If you wouldn't have been there when Rodgrick was trying to drown Ever, she would have died. So thank you." I looked at him in suprise.

"I'm just doing my job. No thanks required." I said, standing. I walked over to the door, hesitated, then spoke. "You can protected in almost all the same ways but the difference is that you can die doing them. So leave the heroics to me."

Ever's P.O.V

"So what is it you wanted to talk to me about?" I said to Damien as i plopped down on the couch with a bowl of mint chip ice cream in my hands. Damien sighed and stole my spoon, scooping up some ice cream.

"Dakota knew that rouge. Rodgrick is apart of a large group of rouges that has bothered my pack for centuried. Our pack is big but the rouge 'clan' is growing quickly. We are going to need more wolves on our side if we are going to win against the rouges. Unfortunately, the largest pack closest to us doesn't have very good fighting skills. I'm going to have to leave for a couple months to train their pack." Damien sighed defeatedly.

"Can't i come with you?" I pleaded.

"No it's too dangerous. You're going to have to stay here."

"Please Damien. I'll be fine!"

"No. Your staying and that's final!" Damien yelled, using his alpha voice. I jumped slightly but stood to mask it. I set the empty bowl on the side table and walked upstairs. When i got up to my room, i slammed the door hard, making the door knob rattle. I plopped down on my bed and huffed. This is going to be a long night.