Chapter 24

Rie's P.O.V

"Ugh, werewolf history is boring...." Ever sighed, tapping her pencil on the spine of her quite creative modge podged notebook covered in wolves and forest scenes.

"Yeah I know Ms. Radke, but you've got to know your stuff because A) your a Luna now and B) you could come off as disrespectful towards elders, alphas, you know the works..." I said. Ever burst into hysterical laughter, shaking her head at me.

"Did... you... just... call.. me... Ms. Radke?!" Ever managed through her laughter.

"Why yes I did," I chuckled. Ever calmed down and took a deep breath. "Well okay then Mr. Azriel, sir!" Ever straightened up and saluted me.

I laughed and continued the lesson. "Anyways, Toklana cast a spell on Shrad, causing him to change into a wolf at will. He wanted to make sure Toklana couldn't take his new ability away so he killed her. Shrad hired someone to murder Toklanna for him so she could not curse him with her last breath."

"That's a bit harsh..." Ever muttered.

Ever's P.O.V.

I dialed Damien's number and it rang three times before he answered.

"Thanks for calling Peter's Pizza. What would you like?" Damien said instantly after answering.

"I'll take an extra large cheese pizza and some bread sticks." I giggled.

"What are you talking about, Ev? this Damien, your boyfriend remember? Your acting like this is Peter's Pizza or something!" Damien tried to mask his laughter but failed. When we caught our breath, I changed the subject to a more serious note.

"I miss you, Wolf Boy," I sighed.

"I miss you too, Princess," Damien replied.

"How's training going?" I asked.

"It's going okay. These guys really don't know how to fight, which surprises me because they are a pretty big pack."

"Aw, I'm sorry you've got so much work to do."

"I'm fine, I'm a big boy now." Damien said I laughed. After a while we just sat in silence but neither of us hung up. I definitely couldn't. I missed him too much. I heard a door swing open on the other line and then I heard shouting.

"I've gotta go Princess, I love you!" Damien said and quickly hung up. He had sounded frantic and this worried me. I bounced down the stairs and walked into the kitchen to talk to Rie. He was leaned over some papers, his reading glasses hanging low in his nose. I sat down beside him and he looked up.

"What's with the glasses?" I asked as I pushed them to the bridge of his nose.

"They make me feel sophisticated," Rie replied. I smiled and moved on to my next topic.

"I, uh, just got of the phone with Damien..." I said. "I'm really worried about him." Rie took his glasses of and laid them on the table.

"What did he say?" Rie asked, leaning across his papers to look directly at me.

I sighed, "Well, it's not really anything he said. I heard someone burst into the room he was in and start yelling. Then he hung up..." A look of pity flashed across his face so fast that I thought I had imagined it.

"I think he'll be alright. He can handle himself." Rie said as he took my hand and squeezed it reassuringly. I jerked away from his touch a little to quickly. Hurt seared through his eyes and then it was gone. I looked down at my hand which were neatly folded in my lap.

"He'll be alright." I heard Rie say again as he stood and left. When I heard the door close, I dropped my head into my hands. I sighed shakily and went upstairs.

***

I bounded through the forest, dodging fallen limbs and burning underbrush. I heard the fire crackling behind me, following me. My long white dress was seared at the ends and was blackened with smoke and ash. I coughed and choked on the heavy black air. The fire was catching up to me. I leapt over a burning log, yelping as my bloody scrapped bare feet grazed the smoldering wood. I kept running, shoving the hair that had fallen from my 18th century braid out of my face. I stumbled on a mossy stone and hit the ground, rolling over to face the fire that raced towards me. I threw up my arms to protect myself as the fire engulfed me.

I bolted upright in my bed, coughing and wheezing as I did. I thought I was coughing because of the dream until I looked around the room. Thick gray clouds curled around the room, starting from under the door. Smoke.